Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 02:36 PM

Default Re: My landlord wants to increase our rent at the end of our lease...

[ QUOTE ]
Maybe it's just me, but I don't see how raising the rent 50% without significantly increasing the square footage, or otherwise drastically improving the property, is anything short of attempted robbery. Since I don't see him completing an addition in one week, I am assuming he intends only to renovate the existing space to change the use of one room. If that's the case, tell him to go [censored] himself.

Scott

[/ QUOTE ]

Im with you on this one. Basically he is now going to be making more off of the exact same property. And why? Because he made it less comfortable for its tenants? Eff that guy.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:00 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Wow, you guys have given me a lot of valuable advice.

Basically, I'm just going to tell him as of now we're moving out and not signing a super huge lease. Then I'm going to say if he decides to fix a lot of other stuff along with adding a room we can talk.

Good idea?

[/ QUOTE ]

Why would you tell him you are moving out, just say "I don't know", Man it's pretty simple really, say ok I don't want you to reno now it's inconvenient, also i'm not sure about what i want to do with the lease, then say buddy come back 2 mths before it runs out and we'll discuss it. Or alternatively if you would like the renovations you can sign some auxilary contract to allow him to complete that work, however i'd be careful because I would guess any substantial renovations to the house may be enough to void the original contract, so you may need to devise an entirely new contract to be signed which basically says the auxilary contract comes into effect for the duration of the renovations following which the old contract is enforcable on the "new" building. However you don't really need to sign papers for all this cause like verbal contracts ARE enforcable contracts as well, but if you think the guy is possible to screw you best to be safe.

Anyway, why can't you just talk to the guy about this, you seem pretty retarted actually.
Old 12-11-2005, 03:05 PM

Sorry i posted the last bit because of p****, but come on seriusly how do you move out and get a place and sign numerous other contracts through out your life and not just get an inkling of how they work. This stuff just seems like commonsense....
Old 12-11-2005, 03:57 PM

I'm 20 years old, moved out of my house 3 months ago for the first time (lived in the dorms one year) and have never dealt with any of this. That is why I came for ADVICE, not to be flamed.

But if we're going to play like that, you seem pretty retarded for not knowing how to spell.