Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy

Old 12-09-2005, 03:15 PM

Default Re: A question for Christians AND atheists

Hm. I think there are many cultural factors that play into this. IOW, it depends how the culture evolves, and that depends on technological, environmental, and countless other factors. Therefore I think it's difficult, if not impossible, to imagine such a clean slated society. The belief in God does more than just explain scientific questions. It gives people comfort by giving them meaning to life. It also unites societies, giving people a sense of belonging.

I think the answer to your question is, it depends. If the society in question educated its people in the field of science from a young age, then no, the God hypothesis would probably never crystallize. If however, the government chose to educate its people primarily in other ways, then God would probably evolve again. God comes when people need him. Since most people will probably be preoccupied with life's daily concerns, they won't care so much about investgating the truth, and will turn to the God figure for comfort.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
So I'm against the world in which you live and breath

[/ QUOTE ]

This is why so many of us hate Christianity.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:21 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Because unbelief is totally opposed in principle to God Himself Christians are totally opposed to the atheistic world view.

[/ QUOTE ]

Unless they're in need of science in order to survive. Very few Christians would be against the naturalistic/atheistic world view that allows medical science to cure diseseases and illnesses when they are the ones that are sick. Sure, they'll pray too... but probably not before going to the doctor (with a lower-case "d").

[ QUOTE ]
That does bring me to my question I asked before - Do you really think that if there was no religion, no one to teach you there was a God that anyone born today would start believing in God? I am talking about now, after science has explained so many of the 'unexplained' phenomena of the past.

[/ QUOTE ]

The concept of "God" can take many different manifestations, because it is so abstract. We see different variants coming from different cultures that had little if any influence on each other.

Would religion and the concept of a "higher being" still exist? I'd put my money on it.

Would Genesis, Exodus, Leviticus, the gospels and revelation still exist? I doubt it.

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I grew up with a Roman Catholic mother and an atheist father. I minored in religion in college

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow, me too [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[/ QUOTE ]

*And* I'm from NJ
Old 12-09-2005, 03:25 PM

<font color="blue">Atheism is hostility toward God, enmity with Him. </font>

That is one bold and incorrect statement. How can you be hositle towards something you don't even believe exists? I'm sure most people who ARE hostile towards God, were at one time believers. Do you feel hositility towards a mermaid?

<font color="blue">Because unbelief is totally opposed in principle to God Himself Christians are totally opposed to the atheistic world view. </font>

If God is so opposed to unbelief, why did He create man with intelligence and then leave him without any physical evidence or logical proof for belief? If it was so important that someone believed in you, wouldn't you provide a bit more evidence than unlikely stories based on heresay? So God appeared regularily to man thousands of year ago, but for some reason has chosen to remain unseen and unheard since.

It would be an easy matter for God to allow everyone to believe. But having some people write a book filled with unlikely stories that isn't much different than hundreds of other religious books, is not a good way to get an intelligent creature to believe.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]

This is why so many of us hate Christianity.

[/ QUOTE ]

Of course it is.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Unless they're in need of science in order to survive. Very few Christians would be against the naturalistic/atheistic world view that allows medical science to cure diseseases and illnesses when they are the ones that are sick. Sure, they'll pray too... but probably not before going to the doctor (with a lower-case "d").

[/ QUOTE ]

We are in the world but not of the world.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:32 PM

[ QUOTE ]

If God is so opposed to unbelief, why did He create man with intelligence and then leave him without any physical evidence or logical proof for belief?

[/ QUOTE ]

He didn't.
[ QUOTE ]

It would be an easy matter for God to allow everyone to believe

[/ QUOTE ]

God is not the cause of your unbelief.

[ QUOTE ]

not a good way to get an intelligent creature to believe.

[/ QUOTE ]

Intelligence isn't the issue.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:33 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Atheism is hostility toward God, enmity with Him

[/ QUOTE ]

That's a rather sanctimonious claim. Atheism doesn't go around claiming God doesn't exist. It is healthily unconcerned with his existence or lack thereof.

[ QUOTE ]
I'm against the death of the soul and for eternal life.

[/ QUOTE ]

And if I had a choice, I would be too.