Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: Should I tell my buddy??
no 39 32.50%
yes 81 67.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2005, 03:11 PM

Default Re: Best Video Game 1988-1994 Round 2

Bo Jackson's biggest legacy to date is his domination of Tecmo Bowl. Seriously, In an interview a couple years ago he said he gets asked about it whereever he goes. Line backers just bounced off of him as he zig/zagged down the field. Barry Sanders was a close 2nd in this game actually, but couldn't match Bo's dominance.

Actually, I forgot the Konami code, but will always remember ABACABB on the Genesis.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:14 PM

[ QUOTE ]
SC2k is just good enough to beat out a random game I never played....

[/ QUOTE ]

This is an endorsement?? Is it possible to skip questions on the poll, 'cause that would appear to be a better solution.

Or to put it another way, if SC2K was left out of the competition entirely, would you even have noticed?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Tetris vs Mortal Kombat

This is a simple experiment in OOT demographics. Tetris touters don't seem to realize that Mortal Kombat was the GTA series of the 90s. Take a trip down memory lane with me, boys. Remember Sunday night when Mom turned on 60 Minutes? Remember when Ed Bradley came on to condemn Mortal Combat? Remember all the bad press Mortal Kombat got? If you were 12-15 at the time MK came out, there was nothing cooler than sneaking over to your friend's place to play MK because his parents were the only ones cool enough to buy their kid that game. The blood? The violence? The fatalities? If this means less to you than trying to piece together a bunch of stupid shapes that won't bleed no matter how hard you smash them into the ground, then I am guessing you weren't born into MK's wheelhouse. You're either too old to appreciate the cheap thrill of blood or you're too young and you find MK tame compared to later games.

[/ QUOTE ]

If you want to offer an apologia of a game's superiority based solely on its sociopolitical impacts, and ignoring the fact that the game itself was inferior, think Cold War and global instead of Ed Bradley and your mom.

Tetris is probably the best pure game of all time. MK made an existing genre marginally more violent.

~D
Old 12-08-2005, 03:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is an endorsement?? Is it possible to skip questions on the poll, 'cause that would appear to be a better solution.

Or to put it another way, if SC2K was left out of the competition entirely, would you even have noticed?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything in your post. I'm not really an OOT regular, so I didn't realize I could abstain.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:19 PM

Marginally more violent? Jabbing someone with a harpoon, pulling them towards you, then ripping their head off with spinal cord in tact while blood flies everywhere made Street Fighter 2 look like Sesame Street in terms of violence.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:21 PM

Too old to appreciate MK, ey? [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]

When you're talking about video games from your childhood, the game Mom wouldn't let you play will be superior to the game Mom would let you play. It's a fact of life.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree with everything in your post. I'm not really an OOT regular, so I didn't realize I could abstain.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't really know if abstaining is possible either. If it isn't, people should be adding a "No Vote" option to all these.

As for MK vs. Tetris, I was in college 3 years ago and the same NES systems that were kept around to play Tecmo Super Bowl were also used for insane Tetris high score competitions. MK was nowhere to be found. But then again the place was populated by engineering dorks. I guess I have no point.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:28 PM

MK was also introduced on SEGA/SNES, not NES. The console had no staying power...not MKs fault.
Old 12-08-2005, 03:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Up down up down left right left right b a b a select start

[/ QUOTE ]

yeah but if you were good you didnt need that code to beat it [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] edit: that code is wrong! didnt notice the first time.

trivia question: 007 373 5963. anyone?
Old 12-08-2005, 03:38 PM

[ QUOTE ]
MK was also introduced on SEGA/SNES, not NES. The console had no staying power...not MKs fault.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to disagree here. People did keep the SNES around for original Super Mario Kart, and the Genesis was essential for the best NHL '94 experience. Heck, there was tons of Dreamcasts (talk about no staying power) around just because the system had the only port of Soul Calibur. MK wasn't around because it wasn't timeless... the fun wore off with the shock, IMO.