Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-06-2005, 07:16 PM

Default Re: $109 Party Hand - Trip Jacks vs. another big stack on river

[ QUOTE ]
basically you have two options IMO, one is to bet and the other is to checkraise all in. You are pretty certain to have the best hand, and it just depends if a worse J will call the c/r, and how often he will bluff with something like QcTx.

The more OP thinks he'll call a c/r with KJ-JT and then more he will bluff with Tc8o or QcTo or some other garbage the more I like a checkraise. I would probably bet about 2k and expect to get called by all J's and some other hands too.

[/ QUOTE ]

I can't see either JT, or T8, even with a single club, calling the flop bet.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:32 PM

I can't see any J playing the hand this way. Based on the pre-flop limp I pretty much only see him having a pair here - AA on down. Any of those could be limped pre-flop and just call a flop bet (some pairs more likely than others but all possible). Maybe some type of suited connectors with clubs.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can't see any J playing the hand this way. Based on the pre-flop limp I pretty much only see him having a pair here - AA on down. Any of those could be limped pre-flop and just call a flop bet (some pairs more likely than others but all possible). Maybe some type of suited connectors with clubs.

[/ QUOTE ]

You think he doesn't raise 22,33,99?
Old 12-06-2005, 09:08 PM

I think he could raise or limp with any pair. Like I said, some more likely than others. But in addition to some kind of suited club connectors what else could he hold that limps pre-flop AND just calls the flop and turn. And it's certainly possible that he doesn't protect a hand he thinks is good versus the flush draw. Heads up I'll often take the chance when I think I'm possibly way ahead/way behind with the idea of trying to control the pot size.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:23 AM

Is there anything here that leads you to believe he will call bets on the flop/turn and river with something that you are ahead of without a J? It seems unlikely to me. It also seems unlikely that he will bet anything you are ahead of that isnt a J. So either way I see no value from those hands. Your opponent will always call with a J on the river, but if you check he will pretty much always bet it also, so again I would be pretty much indifferent to betting v. checking. However, check calling on the river saves you money against sets/flushes 100% of the time (since i think if you bet and he pushes you have to call). So by checking, we lose value the times he has a worse J and pushes the river, but we gain value the times he has a set/flush. I think check calling is the better play.
Old 12-07-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Is there anything here that leads you to believe he will call bets on the flop/turn and river with something that you are ahead of without a J? It seems unlikely to me. It also seems unlikely that he will bet anything you are ahead of that isnt a J. So either way I see no value from those hands. Your opponent will always call with a J on the river, but if you check he will pretty much always bet it also, so again I would be pretty much indifferent to betting v. checking. However, check calling on the river saves you money against sets/flushes 100% of the time (since i think if you bet and he pushes you have to call). So by checking, we lose value the times he has a worse J and pushes the river, but we gain value the times he has a set/flush. I think check calling is the better play.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah.. MLG's right.. I think this is an obvious check, and a slightly less obvious check/call.
Old 12-07-2005, 08:37 AM

This is an interesting hand; so Lloyd are you going to tell us how much you decided to bet out and your opponent's reaction.

Personally, I can't understand all the talk about mid pairs - aggressive big stack in CO-1 and he doesn't raise just doesn't sit well with me. I put him on a drawing hand that's missed or something nutty, so a check seems to be the only thing that makes any sense; then making a decision on the basis of his bet size.
Old 12-07-2005, 10:40 AM

It's a weird hand and I too would like to know the result. As I said before, I would have probably raised the turn more but my main concern in terms of reading him is that he would have no read on me, having not raised AJ pre-flop so I can't imagine what he can be calling with apart from trips.
Old 12-07-2005, 12:21 PM

nice post.
Old 12-07-2005, 01:16 PM

I bet 1k. He pushed.

What's he have? Should I call?

Results in white below:

<font color="white">I called. Villain has 33 for full house. </font>