Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-06-2005, 08:20 AM

Default Re: Going for two each time Theory

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think NFL kickers miss 1 of 20 PATs.

[/ QUOTE ]

agreed. after looking at the career stats of a few kickers and then getting tired of it, the lowest among the ones i saw was a little over 98%. Even Feely was 175-177
Old 12-06-2005, 09:03 AM

Insufficient sample size and results based thinking. They didn't lose because they attempted the 2pt - they lost because they failed to convert it.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:20 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I really don't think NFL kickers miss 1 of 20 PATs.

[/ QUOTE ]

I was just posing a hypothetical when I said 95%. But even if it's 98%, that affects the EV of the decision. It's not automatic.
Old 12-06-2005, 09:34 AM

It's pretty much 99%
Old 12-06-2005, 12:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming most people here read David Sklansky's article a few months back about going for it on 4th down. The basis of his whole article was that you can calculate your EP(expected points) from any field position, your opponents EP from that same spot in case you fail, and your expected 4th down conversion success rate, and then compute your best play from that. He of course offered the caveat that it doesn't apply in certain situations where you'd want to minimize your variance, but in general it is correct. Now i'm not saying this method of analyzing football decisions is correct just because he says it is, but I do think that carries a lot of weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

Did David pass this off as his own idea? Because a statistics professor at Berkeley wrote a paper a few years back that got a fair amount of press which basically argued the same thing and found that teams should go for it around midfield in 4th and short situations almost every time.
Old 12-06-2005, 01:06 PM

This idea has been around since at least the hidden game of football.
Old 12-06-2005, 04:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Did David pass this off as his own idea? Because a statistics professor at Berkeley wrote a paper a few years back that got a fair amount of press which basically argued the same thing and found that teams should go for it around midfield in 4th and short situations almost every time.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well I don't think he explicitly said that he was the first to think of it, but he didn't exactly include a works cited page either.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:17 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Two reasons:
1. 6 points only ties 2 FGs, which is a common scoring increment. As you've established, the 2pt is roughly equal to the PAT, but loses big against 2 FGs.
2. Assume that each team scores 1 TD. If the first team goes for 2, it will lose a lot more than 50% of the time. 50% of the time it misses and loses. 50% of the time it makes. Then, the other team knows to go for 2, and ties the game half the time. Obviously, the real life situations aren't so formalistic, but the longer there is remaining in the game, the more this effect costs the converting team.

[/ QUOTE ]

It sounds like you have something worth-while to say but I'm not really following. Could you rearticulate?

[/ QUOTE ]

1. Points don't have linear utility. Increasing your point total by 8 is better than increasing it by 7, because you'll beat a TD+PAT rather than tying it. But increasing your point total by 7 comparatively even better than increasing it by 6, because you'll tie a TD+PAT and beat 2 FGs. Even though both differences are 1 point, the downside risk of a 2pt conv. is higher than its upside.

2. Going for 2 early in a game gives the other team informational advantages. Whenever they have to make a similar decision, they can act knowing whether or not you made your conversion. If you did not, they can play conservatively to win. If you did make it, they can gamble and sometimes tie you. The benefit is substantially decreased because the other team can adjust if you succeed.
Old 12-06-2005, 06:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I'm assuming most people here read David Sklansky's article a few months back about going for it on 4th down. The basis of his whole article was that you can calculate your EP(expected points) from any field position, your opponents EP from that same spot in case you fail, and your expected 4th down conversion success rate, and then compute your best play from that. He of course offered the caveat that it doesn't apply in certain situations where you'd want to minimize your variance, but in general it is correct. Now i'm not saying this method of analyzing football decisions is correct just because he says it is, but I do think that carries a lot of weight.

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't read this, but this idea is pure lunacy

[/ QUOTE ]

Okay, what the hell would you base it on? Your gut feeling?

[/ QUOTE ]There was some math guy on ESPN trying to convince coaches about the 4 down conversion expected points. The 3 coaches said it was ridiculous that a mathman would dare say anything about football. Percels said that he wanted the mathguy next to him on the sideline so whenever it fails he could punch him in the face. It's too bad, becuase going for it on 4th when your expected pts is positive would really add to the excitement of the game. Luckly for us the NFL can change the rules to artificialy instill more offense into the league anytime they want.
Old 12-06-2005, 07:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
1. Points don't have linear utility. Increasing your point total by 8 is better than increasing it by 7, because you'll beat a TD+PAT rather than tying it. But increasing your point total by 7 comparatively even better than increasing it by 6, because you'll tie a TD+PAT and beat 2 FGs. Even though both differences are 1 point, the downside risk of a 2pt conv. is higher than its upside.

2. Going for 2 early in a game gives the other team informational advantages. Whenever they have to make a similar decision, they can act knowing whether or not you made your conversion. If you did not, they can play conservatively to win. If you did make it, they can gamble and sometimes tie you. The benefit is substantially decreased because the other team can adjust if you succeed.

[/ QUOTE ]

right on...I almost posted something like this, but my economics is quite rusty. I think I did a brain flush the second I dropped out of my PhD work.

I think much of these ideas do not account for the fact that the plays are not held in isolation. A football game is a dynamic system with each play inter-related to the next. Pushing to maximize the output of any one play, or "event," can have very detrimental consequences towards maximizing the output of the entire game, or "system."

While I think that football coaches are too conservative, I do not see the fault in going for two not frequent enough. I see coaches go for two far too frequently. I also think they should go for it on fourth more often, but not nearly as often as suggested in the paper by the Professor out at Berkeley.

What I have seen in football is the total breakdown of risk-taking on the offensive side of the ball. The mid to long range passing game is becoming extinct. I think everyone realized how important turnovers are, but over-reacted. An interception 35 yards downfield is different than a fumble at the line. Oh well...I have a whole notebook full of observations of things I'd change if I were a coach. Maybe after I make millions at poker, I'll work my way up from the low levels of coaching.