Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events

Old 12-05-2005, 12:55 PM

Default Explain ND over Oregon ....

Oregon is #5 in the BCS and ND is #6, yet by getting #6 ND was "guaranteed" a spot in the BCS? And Oregon was not? I'm so confused.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Explain ND over Oregon ....

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$
Old 12-05-2005, 12:57 PM

anyone in the top 4 of the BCS gets and automatic bid, hence tOSU getting in. Notre Dame is given an exemption from this, because they are a high profile team that is not in a conference. Pretty much everyone wins if ND is in a BCS bowl, except of course #5
Old 12-05-2005, 01:48 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oregon is #5 in the BCS and ND is #6, yet by getting #6 ND was "guaranteed" a spot in the BCS? And Oregon was not? I'm so confused.

[/ QUOTE ]

Independent teams only need to reach #6 in the BCS to be gauranteed a spot. Teams in a conference needs at least 4th. I beleieve this is due to the fact that a independent team will play a tougher schedule (as ND usaully does). Oh and another reason the Fiesta Bowl commitee actaully wants people to watch the game. Even though Oregon is 10-1 or whatever I get the feeling they can't compete with tOSU. ND vs OSU is a much better matchup IMO.
Old 12-05-2005, 01:51 PM

ND is at a disadavantage because they because they dont have a conference tie in to the BCS, so without their automatic berth for being #6 or higher, they would have to be #1 or #2 to get an automatic berth, which really wouldnt be fair.

But this ND over Oregon crap should just stop now. If Oregon wants to bitch, they should bitch about FSU getting in over them. or WVU for that matter.

Please note that I don't think ND is truely at a disadvantage because they will almost always get picked if they are elligible, but this is why they get automatically picked when they are #6 or higher.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Oregon should have finished #4. Simple as that. Now STFU and enjoy your trip to the Holiday Bowl, and don't look as foolish as Cal did last year.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Oregon should have finished #4.

[/ QUOTE ]

LOL.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]
ND is at a disadavantage

[/ QUOTE ]

lol

[ QUOTE ]
If Oregon wants to bitch, they should bitch about FSU getting in over them. or WVU for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

Will do.
Old 12-05-2005, 02:45 PM

It's actually not because ND isn't in a conference, it's that they are NOT in BCS conference. A top 6 team from a non-BCS conference gets an automatic bid. Hence the reason #6 Utah was in a BCS game last year and #5 Cal wasn't, which is basically the exact same situation as this year. So this might be a "Notre Dame Rule" but it benefits other teams as well.

Two years in a row a #6 team gets the auto bid while the #5 team didn't. Seems like a system that only something as idiotic as the BCS could come up with
Old 12-05-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]
If Oregon wants to bitch, they should bitch about FSU getting in over them. or WVU for that matter.

[/ QUOTE ]

If Oregon wants to bitch, they should stop scheduling Division I-AA teams and beat better competition (and dont tell me that FSU is great competition, because they lost to Louisana Tech last week). In one of the prior iterations of the BCS points system, teams would lose BCS points when scheduling I-AA teams for every loss that the I-AA team had. Considering that Montana had 4 losses, Oregon could have been below ND if that system were used.

Also considering that ND hasnt gotten BCS money in 5 years and Oregon gets some every year, I dont feel too bad about this at all.