Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-22-2005, 04:25 PM

Default Re: Resistance is Useless

I think you have to 3-bet preflop. Was the preflop call a slowplay attempt... trying to disguise your hand?

The way you played it, I would check-raise the flop and lead the turn. If he raises the turn, I go into call down mode against standard LAGs. If he's the specific variety of LAG that bets when there's no resistance, but calls or raises only with a hand, then your line is fine.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:25 PM

I would 3bet pf. If I didn't, I would c/r the flop b/c I'd expect him to calldown A-hi and small PPs, while most of the time I take down the pot on the turn with a bet.

It's an interesting analysis though... We certainly can't put him on the K from flop/turn action, but by the time we get to the river one definitely starts to wonder whether our rope-a-dope has left us as the dope. I prefer a more aggressive line unless we believe he will fold most worse hands to aggression like smaller PPs and A-hi (which isn't the case at the games I play.)

Surf
Old 11-22-2005, 04:47 PM

Wow. I did not even notice in the post that I did not 3-bet PF. Strange, no excuses... [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]

I agree 3-bet is standard PF and have no idea why I did not. Whatever...it does not change the theory bit, which is what I am interested in.
Old 11-22-2005, 04:53 PM

I'd 3bet pf.

If I didnt do that, I'd c/r the flop.

If I didnt do that, I'd c/r the turn.

If I didnt do that, I'd c/r the river.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:10 PM

3-bet preflop changes this hand somewhat.
3-bet is showing greater strength, and checking after 3-bet preflop will look suspicious. After 3-bet, if you decide to check the flop, your line is probably even better, if the villain never stops to think on the turn.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:33 PM

I would seldom be at the river this way, if I somehow was, I think this is a great river to checkraise as alot of hands will pay you off that you beat.
Old 11-22-2005, 08:24 PM

A super lag is the perfect player to go for a river check-raise here. Other than that, how are you playing 5/10 and not 3-betting PF here? I 3-bet with 22, but I'm a donk.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:25 PM

i'm a bit of a learner but found this post v. interesting.

i have never seen a definition of WA/WB (and would love to if anyone has one), but in this hand:

6 outs equates to approx 1/8 of pot so we want him to suck out in this "4SB before flop". Otherwise, he's even more WA/WB and c-c, c-c, c-(r/c) applies even more...no?

but, when you 3-bet, has the pot has become too large for this play?
Old 11-22-2005, 09:36 PM

WA/WB is the common abbrevation for way ahead/way behind. It's covered in detail in holdem poker for advanced players in the section "playing good hands when it is 3 bets before the flop"
Old 11-22-2005, 09:43 PM

I might play QQ or JJ like this, then CR the river. Here, I think you're letting him "draw" too cheaply if he has a hand like JT, QT, AT, AJ, QJ, etc. I vote for 3-bet preflop and pound pound pound.

Was he reciting poetry into the chat window?