Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 11-16-2005, 12:16 PM

Default The Way Humans Sleep in 2005

I've read that in the past, and in controlled experiments, humans have been shown to sleep vastly differently than the large majority of American adults seem to sleep today. They would go to bed earlier, sleep longer, sometimes even sleep in 2 distinct chunks as opposed to one block. Sleep Info

Does anyone here sleep in the "old school" manner? I'm thinking about trying it out for a while... turning off all "artificial light sources and stimulation" (TV, computer), and hitting the hay around 8pm. I think I'll give it a go for a few weeks, perhaps report back here with any interesting results.

Anyone here already sleep like this or want to join me in trying it out?
Old 11-16-2005, 12:21 PM

Default Re: The Way Humans Sleep in 2005

sleep? na, im trying to give that [censored] up.

blake
Old 11-16-2005, 12:37 PM

My first post was a joke.

That article was actually really interesting. I am willing to try this thing with you. I wont be able to do it successfully til over christmas break though.

I'll be sure to start a new thread when the time comes.

Sleep has always intrigued me.

When are you planning on doing your change over?

blake
Old 11-16-2005, 01:27 PM

That I don't know. I might try to get it going over the next couple of weeks?

I've got a pretty hectic schedule... I often don't leave the office until 730 - 8pm and later so I don't know how I'm going to pull off going to bed at 8pm every night. I also try to work out a bunch, and of course poker... I imagine to pull this off I would have to basically get my dinner on the way home, go to bed straight away and play my cards in the morning and schedule my workouts for then too (or squeeze them in at lunch).

I really think that from a logical point of view and from the empirical evidence of research this sleep scheme could do wonders for my health and mood so despite the drawbacks of the schedule I will give it a shot.
Old 11-16-2005, 01:29 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Anyone here already sleep like this or want to join me in trying it out?

[/ QUOTE ]

in the same bed?
Old 11-16-2005, 06:18 PM

[ QUOTE ]
They would go to bed earlier, sleep longer, sometimes even sleep in 2 distinct chunks as opposed to one block. Sleep Info

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting article. I kept a schedule similar to this in college. I basically slept from 4-7pm and 4-7am and I felt great most of the time. Any disturbance in my afternoon "nap" really messed me up though. But I was able to drink, work, and go to class and still feel well rested.
Old 11-16-2005, 06:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
They would go to bed earlier, sleep longer, sometimes even sleep in 2 distinct chunks as opposed to one block. Sleep Info

[/ QUOTE ]

Interesting article. I kept a schedule similar to this in college. I basically slept from 4-7pm and 4-7am and I felt great most of the time. Any disturbance in my afternoon "nap" really messed me up though. But I was able to drink, work, and go to class and still feel well rested.

[/ QUOTE ]

This actually looks like a really good sleep schedule to me. I have been looking into the Da Vinci sleep pattern, but I just dont see that working too well for me, so I have been trying to figure something else out, because my sleeping patterns are always [censored] up anyhow. I really need to get on a set schedule.