Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 08:37 PM

Default Re: Gigabet\'s STT Theory for Laymen (cliff notes version)...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Gigabet stack size theory is not important for low buyin SnGs

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe some parts of it are not as applicable, but IMO some of it applies to any type of tournament regardless of player skill. For example, the part about how to use the amount of your stack that is "above the line" is a generic concept that most people do not use properly.

[/ QUOTE ]

The Gigabet stack concepts maybe give you an extra 3% edge against the field. So if you are much much much better than your opponents, it's not worth bothering with. If you are only a little better than your opponents, then this extra edge becomes much more important.
Old 11-10-2005, 08:40 PM

Default Re: Gigabet\'s STT Theory for Laymen (cliff notes version)...

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
I would say that this is an excellent example from a few months ago. Aside from one horrendous fold with A6o, this is exactly how I advocate playing based on stack sizes. I don't necessarily make any -EV plays here though. Those situations are fairly rare, I am trying to find something in my (now limited) database.

[/ QUOTE ]

No offense, but while your hand illustrates pretty solid big stack poker (I also don't care for the KTs fold) I don't see any play that is comparable to the Q3 play Gigabet made. If you are referring to the hand where you come back over the top of the other stacks min-raise I think almost everyone here does that with any two cards.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, and I didnt even look at it, but I can probably tell (given a calling range) that it was +EV.

From the few hands I looked at, I think OP is confusing playing BigStack poker with something gigabet said. However you visualize it is fine BTW, but it is nothing ground breaking or earth shattering.

Calling in a -EV spot is probably never a good idea...but Ive been wrong before and I am sure I will be many times again... I love being proven wrong...only way I learn.

[/ QUOTE ]

You overestimate the amount of people who have a grasp of excellent bubble play. Good STTers tend to be too loose when the stacks are relatively equal, and too tight when they are varied. Curtains' describes the former pretty well in a lot of his posts, while the latter is commonly discussed in posts like this.

Also COME ON, 7740 chips with 4 people remaining is pretty amazing. A lot of luck, but also a lot of manipulation.

[/ QUOTE ]

This is what I mean...People should worry about how to play a bigstack before they take stupid risks trying to get one.