Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 07:50 AM

Default two simular top pair straighty boards

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (4 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, SB completes, Hero checks.

Flop: (2 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, SB calls.

Turn: (2 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">SB raises</font>

Final Pot:

PokerStars 3/6 Hold'em (6 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

Preflop: Hero is Button with T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.33 SB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

Turn: (4.16 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB raises</font>,

I have top pair, and don't want to risk a free card - but at the same time getting raised sucks because I could use a free card and get a higher straight.
Is bet/fold standard or should I check and call the river?
Old 11-10-2005, 08:02 AM

Default Re: two simular top pair straighty boards

Both of these hands are read-based. These are borderline situations where arguments can be made for folding the turn, calling the turn and folding the river UI, or calling down (and raising, of course, if you improve to a straight). I'm not sure what the best play is. Against passives I'm more likely to toss on the turn. As the BS factor of a player increases then I'm more likely to call down.

You must bet the turn in both of these hands, which you did. Don't ever think about checking behind with TP on these boards.
Old 11-10-2005, 09:02 AM

Default Re: two simular top pair straighty boards

I always feel a bit lost in this situation, but I usually end up calling, unless against a very passive player.

Looking at hand 1:

First of all, if we are behind on the turn, more combination he might start with gives him two pairs
(86,89,96,j9,j8,j6) than a made straight. (7T, TQ). (His range is pretty wide, completing in the SB)

If behind two-pairs with a J, we have
4 outs to the straight
3 outs to to two pair

If against two pairs without a J , we also have
2 outs to JJJ
3 hidden outs.

When against two pairs with a Jack, we have
7 outs (Q and T)

When against a made straight, we have 4 outs, but might split.

When against a smaller set, we have 7 outs (J and T)

Not considering implied odds, we need clean 8 outs to call if we are always behind, getting 1:5. If we are ahead a semibluff even a third of the time, I guess we need only 5-6 outs when behind to call, which I do think we have on average.

My thinking may be flawed, maybe the implied odds make the difference and we should fold, since we will often pay one more bet on the river when behind, and might not make up for it when ahead on the river?

As I see it you have to be fairly sure that he would very rarely semibluff in order to fold here, due to the outs you have when behind.

Please comment on this, I am nowhere near sure that I am not overlooking something.