Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud

Old 11-09-2005, 12:44 PM

Default Some generic stud questions

1. Is the strategy guide at http://www.studstrategy.com good? Or should I read some other strategy, if so where (online that is)? (hi only)

2. Are there 0 sites that offer 5 card stud strategy (or atleast more than one page)? I am a winning player but I am sure I can improve my game.

3. Consider playing 0.5/1.0 limit stud with 0.05 ante, 8 players on table. About what percentage of hands are playable?
Old 11-09-2005, 03:35 PM

Default Re: Some generic stud questions

[ QUOTE ]
1. Is the strategy guide at http://www.studstrategy.com good?

[/ QUOTE ]

Lol. This was the first thing I found when I was starting out last year. I think they have change some of it since then though, so I can’t tell you how good/bad it is. One thing’s for sure though, it’s way too brief.

[ QUOTE ]
Or should I read some other strategy, if so where (online that is)? (hi only)

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, here.

[ QUOTE ]
2. Are there 0 sites that offer 5 card stud strategy (or atleast more than one page)? I am a winning player but I am sure I can improve my game.

[/ QUOTE ]

No idea.

[ QUOTE ]
3. Consider playing 0.5/1.0 limit stud with 0.05 ante, 8 players on table. About what percentage of hands are playable?

[/ QUOTE ]

I’m 4-tabling 2/4 right now (similar structure), and I’m seeing 4th street about 21% of the time. You can probably be a bit tighter since the ante is a bit lower though.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:01 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its going to be tough to find info on 5stud, hardly anyone plays it anymore. I only know 1 online room that even spreads the game and I haven't seen it live anywhere.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:29 PM

Purely out of curiosity, how do you 4-table a stud game? Do you just give up on surveying the dead cards, or do you use a software program? What about getting reads on people w/o a pokertracker?

it seems far, far, more complicated than hold'em multi-tabling.
Old 11-09-2005, 06:36 PM

Bots.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:03 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Its going to be tough to find info on 5stud, hardly anyone plays it anymore. I only know 1 online room that even spreads the game and I haven't seen it live anywhere.

[/ QUOTE ]

There is some action on prima atleast, everything from 0.25/0.50 limit up to 10/20 pot limit and 20/40 limit. The most action is on 8 handed 0.5/1.0 limit and 2/4 limit shorthanded. Games are VERY juicy. I make more playing 0.5/1.0 limit 5 card stud than I did 0.25/0.50 pot limit holdem, and according to PT I were among the best.
Old 11-09-2005, 10:02 PM

I haven't read everything at studstrategy.com, but a lot of what I have read wasn't that great, in my opinion. If there is a better site than this one for stud strategy, I'm not aware of it. Really, I recommend getting 7CS4AP and making the necessary adjustments.

For five-card stud, a couple of good books are listed in the FAQ. I think that Zadeh is out-of-print, but Morehad is still available.

You should probably be seeing fourth street around 20% of the time, a little less if the game is very aggressive, a little more if the game is very passive. In a really good stud game, I'll se fourth street about 25% of the time.
Old 11-10-2005, 05:27 AM

Thanx for the answers.