Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em

Old 11-09-2005, 03:45 PM

Default Re: I check behind flop and get blasted

[ QUOTE ]
If you bet and fold to a check raise against this guy you are flushing money down the drain. He has a random hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

as i said, if he really does that, then call the all in... i would like the flop check if you had AK or AJ etc, but here you have a pair, if he c/r any two, you have much more pot equity. (vs smaller pair, only 1 over such as what he had, etc.)
Old 11-09-2005, 03:58 PM

I give you a bit more on why I'll generally raise with any two when folded to on the button:

1. folks often won't defend
2. if they do they will often fold to any continuation bet--no matter what amount
3. raising more often tends to give me more action
4. it gives me a chance to practice playing the board and what the other player has
5 it gives me a chance to practice playing a PAG style where I force the other player to have a good hand so as to win the pot
6. it forces opponents to put a wide range on what cards I might be holding

There are times when I won't raise with any two on the button. See my response to TWP for them. What I am not doing is raising for Shania reasons. I'm looking to win the hand preflop or with a cb on the flop. Just to give credence to my contention that such a play can be ev+: my win % when I see a flop is around 46-48%.

And so as a general rule, I'd say not raising any two on the button when folded to you is a very wide statement. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 11-09-2005, 04:09 PM

In the 2nd hand, what percentage of the time do you think you lose vs. win? The last three big hands I've played with paired boards I've lost: fh to smaller fh; flush to fh; straight to fh. The opponents in none of the cases were particulary good or bad.

I'll check that flop in the first hand every time against this type of player. I'm usually pretty passive against LAGs; and try to make it clear to them that if I call the flop I will probably call them down. Once this is established, they typically shut down on the turn with nothing and keep firing with something.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:22 PM

That's a good question. I think it's pretty rare to see someone play a FH so fast. Usually I would only expect it from JJ that just hit the FH and was genuinely scared on the flop. If he had KQ or QQ on the flop, and decided to check it to me, it would be weird for him to then bet pot/3-bet push on the turn. So it looks like a genuinely scared hand on the turn i.e. NOT a full house. So I would say I'm ahead at LEAST 50% of the time, but probably closer to 80% of the time.
Old 11-09-2005, 05:56 PM

[ QUOTE ]
With the way you play, I don't see how you can even consider folding in either hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

ditto.
Old 11-09-2005, 07:41 PM

Geez, that's a beautiful read.

And so the bet 3/bet turn shows he is scared. The part that doesn't make sense is that he can't be scared of at, kq, qj, kk, jj. Scared of a flush then--or a 4 card straight?
Old 11-09-2005, 10:25 PM

scared of the draws. very draw heavy board.
Old 11-09-2005, 11:37 PM

Without reading any of this thread besides the OP:

Hand 1: If he is LAG, he is probably raising 99 to begin with, so we can rule that out. Ditto for AQ. So we're left with Q9 and the very unlikely Q8 as hands that beat you, and QT/QJ/KQ as other reasonable hands he could have. Or he could have total air, and considering he is a LAG, that would make sense.

In any event, I think the fullhouse against a LAG is a pretty easy call.

Hand 2: At limits I play at, I don't see people play boats like this much. I just don't see people check a fullhouse and then PSB it on the turn like that. If they slowplay the flop, they make some little donkbet on the turn with it or check it again.

A draw seems likely, something like AsQs, as well as another AT. I think it's pretty marginal either way, because you're up against re-draws (either spades or he has a K) if you're ahead, and if you're behind you're obviously dead.

I think in the heat of it I would call with the rationale being I so rarely see anyone play a house like that. But if it's more common to see people play hands like that at Party400, then muck it.