Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 11-08-2005, 07:14 PM

Default cold calling...

ive just been thinking a little about cold calling generally - a recent post made me re-evaluate my current 'defaults' so to speak.

basically, i dont like cold calling at all short handed, and rarely do it. it fact, im currently pretty much only CCing with exactly KQs when not in the blinds, and when it is looking like a multiay pot. ill also fairly regularly cool call KQo from the SB. of course this is always somewhat player dependant.

the fact that im only CC with such a precise range is obviously pretty terrible, if my opponents are good enough to realise this.

im a little lost with the play, and would be interested to har others thoughts on the matter.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:21 PM

Default Re: cold calling...

CC'ing is fine when you are near the end of the action, you dont expect another raise, the pot is multiway and you have good implied odds.
ie - utg raises, mp calls, CO calls, button folds, im in the SB with J10s so I'm calling. (obviously, depending on the blind structure, this "near"-CC can be better or worse)

Also, you only need 5:1 pot odds preflop to call with any pocketpair.

ps: why arent you 3betting KQs? I dont know what limit you are at, but some terrible opponents are coming along anyways, so you get the best of both worlds there.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:29 PM

yes, im routinely making the call (and simalar) you describe in your post. im more comfortable with the play from the SB.

its the 'not in the blinds' play where i feel a little lost with CCing.

i often will 3bet KQs. but sometimes (frequently), CCing with that precise hand just seem so, so right. i like the tactical post flop advantages it gives me for one thing. it is also a hand that i have next to no interest in showing down UI. it is also a hand in which i am generally happy to have the blinds along for if the hand is starting to look multiay in anycase.

the problems are: should i be CCing with more hands when not in the blinds, and if not, then are my CCs a huge giveaway for the observant player.
Old 11-08-2005, 07:36 PM

I routinely 3-bet KQo, and might even 3-bet KJ against a really loose aggressive opponent.

As for cold calling, I think I only do it when there has been a limper, and then a raise, or a raise, and at least one cold caller. Then, if the blinds are loose, I might cold call with such hands as JTs, QTs, 55-77 (77 reraise if it went limp, raise), A7s, A8s. Anything higher I probably reraise. It depends on condititons, but this might be somewhat standard for me.
Old 11-08-2005, 08:45 PM

hello,
i've been autocalling 22 in this situation(after a bet+CC or limp+raise). Can anyone give guidelines for when this is bad? I guess that you're getting between 2.75-1 and 5-1 PF and then implied odds are improved by the looseness and aggressiveness of opposition (but will win a few more of these hands against weak tight opposition).