Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 10-28-2005, 08:58 PM

Default $40/$80 hand AKs

I thought about this one for a while and I'm truly stumped about what the best play would be.

You raise UTG + 1 with AdKd in a full game. A TAG who you respect and who respects your play but probably views you as being slightly weak tight 3 bets you in cutoff. A huge donkey calls from the BB, and you decide to just call (cap here or no?) Donkey does a wide assortment of strange plays, including checking obvious monster hands, betting no draw no pair into 3 people, and the usual donkey loose preflop calls.

Flop: Td Ts 3c. Checked to cutoff who bets, donkey calls, you call.

Turn: 9d. Donkey from BB bets. your play?
Old 10-28-2005, 09:02 PM

Default Re: $40/$80 hand AKs

Well personally, if the TAG views me as weak tight, I'm going to raise to try and knock him out, and get it HU with the donkey, who could have an OESD when he bets here. Very rarely is the donkey full, so you've got outs even if he does call the raise with any pair.

If the TAG three bets into the donkey, then I have no idea what I'm going to do. Probably call and hope to catch, and hope i'm not drawing dead to quad tens.

I think a raise here is your best play if it can knockout the TAG.
Old 10-28-2005, 10:26 PM

When a donkey donk bets you must raise. If TAG 3 bets you the hand is over. Check the river unimproved and expect to take it down most of the time. Now if donkey 3 bets I don't know. Also cap preflop with the monkey in the middle.
Old 10-29-2005, 04:51 AM

[ QUOTE ]
When a donkey donk bets you must raise. If TAG 3 bets you the hand is over. Check the river unimproved and expect to take it down most of the time. Now if donkey 3 bets I don't know. Also cap preflop with the monkey in the middle.

[/ QUOTE ]

Really? So you don't even give the donkey a pocket pair?
Old 10-29-2005, 05:49 AM

I fold here. Sometimes he might have picked up a draw, but the chance of CO having a real hand plus donkey is too great to make it worth chasing the few outs I have, which may also be reverse dominated / not good.
Old 10-29-2005, 06:23 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I fold here. Sometimes he might have picked up a draw, but the chance of CO having a real hand plus donkey is too great to make it worth chasing the few outs I have, which may also be reverse dominated / not good.

[/ QUOTE ]

You do realize the hero has an Ace-high flush draw, right? Even with the possibility of a boat toting donkey, I don't think folding is on the menu. I think our hero has a lot more than "few" outs in this situation in the long run.

SpaceAce
Old 10-29-2005, 07:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

Really? So you don't even give the donkey a pocket pair?

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Donkey does a wide assortment of strange plays, including checking obvious monster hands, betting no draw no pair into 3 people

[/ QUOTE ]
If your description is accurate then donkey will often have nothing here. TAG, however, has a hand you want to pressure out.
Old 10-29-2005, 12:38 PM

I can't really think of a good reason not to raise here.
Old 10-29-2005, 02:07 PM

yup missed the flush draw. call [img]/images/graemlins/blush.gif[/img]
Old 10-29-2005, 02:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I thought about this one for a while and I'm truly stumped about what the best play would be.

You raise UTG + 1 with AdKd in a full game. A TAG who you respect and who respects your play but probably views you as being slightly weak tight 3 bets you in cutoff. A huge donkey calls from the BB, and you decide to just call (cap here or no?) Donkey does a wide assortment of strange plays, including checking obvious monster hands, betting no draw no pair into 3 people, and the usual donkey loose preflop calls.

Flop: Td Ts 3c. Checked to cutoff who bets, donkey calls, you call.

Turn: 9d. Donkey from BB bets. your play?

[/ QUOTE ]

If you raise here and the TAG folds, he had either AK or AQ, neither of which you want to fold. He is not laying down JJ-AA, just call.

Edit: If you miss your draw and Donk checks, you can bet-fold the river. You may get the TAG to lay down AK, which would be cool.