Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Sporting Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-25-2005, 02:24 PM

Default Re: A Playoff Solution For College Football

[ QUOTE ]
The bowls suck. Either eliminate them and come up with a real playoff (min 12 teams) like every other sport in the modern civilized world, or keep the crappy system in place. Seriously, if they eliminated the bowls in 15 years everyone would look back and laugh at the lunacy that used to exist.

There actually really only has to be some very minor tweaking to the system to make everyone happy. Institute the following rule:

-Play according to the previous bowl system prior to BCS
-National Championship is played two weekends after New Year's Day between teams #1 and 2 at a neutral site. Eureka!

[/ QUOTE ]

This wouldn't fix anything. Last year, USC, Oklahoma, and Auburn would all have won their bowl games, which would leave an undefeated team out of the titile game. (This isn't even considering teams like Utah, who would still have no chance.)

In all of the lower divisions of CFB, there is a 16 team playoff. This is not so many teams that the regular season is meaningless, but it is enough to be sure that all deserving teams are included. (I don't feel bad for the 17th team that will be whining every year, because they could have earned their spot just by winning more games.)

Logistically, these smaller schoold (where the players are actually their for an education) still manage to make it work.

There is no reason that this couldn't be done for D-1A.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:26 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
And how do the schools who make $ in the current system make $ in yours?

[/ QUOTE ]

Beat me to it.

This is the prime problem well over and above logistics. Even though logistics is a very valid problem.

b

[/ QUOTE ]

no it isn't. see D-1AA, D-2, and D-3 CFB.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:31 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Don't mess with college football. It already has a 12 game playoff. One loss teams can never complain. go undeafeted. The occasional times that there has happened to be 2 undefeateds could be handled by a conditional post bowl national title that goes into effect only with 2+ undefeateds from the big 5 conferences at the end of the year.

The national title in football has always been a deserving team thus far, don't cheapen it like college basketball where #1 and #2 have only met for the title twice in the last 20 some odd years.

[/ QUOTE ]

I like this idea, but I think that there needs to be a provision to allow mid-majors to compeet for the national title.
Old 10-25-2005, 02:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Let me be the first then....March Madness cheapens the national title and makes the regular season nearly irrelevant...think Syracuse for a recent example.

In football, you have to prove yourself road tough and letdown proof.

I enjoy college football much more on the whole. The champion is the champion and shows it 'on the field' the whole year, not just for a hot month.

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't think anyone is sugesting letting 65 teams play for the national title in football.