Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Beginners Questions

Old 10-23-2005, 02:45 PM

Default $1-2 Foxwoods hand - Miller GSIH short stack AKo Q66 flop

General context: The Foxwoods $1-2 ($40 min; $139 max) game is to my understanding typical of most small-stakes NLHE these days: lots of limping, lots of calling down with dubious hands, a few expert players who understand NLHE far better than the rest and help themselves to the fish's money. Raises of 5x or more often fail to get the field heads-up.

Table context: This was the 3rd playable hand I'd had in an our. With $35 in my stack, AJs in the cut-off and four limpers i put in a solid raise to $20 (10x) and got it heads up with VIllain. My dream flop of KQTr came but Villain wouldn't call my last $15.

My second playable hand was QQ in middle position with one limper. I raised to 17 (8.5x) but got no callers. Oops -- maybe these folks respect my raises a bit more than most Foxwoods players.

My third playable hand is the one I want to analyze:

Hero's stack: $40, smallest at table.
Hero's cards: A [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
Position: Hero is UTG.

Preflop : Hero raises to $12 (6x); Villian calls from late position; big blind calls. Pot: $37 Hero has $28 remaining.

Flop: Q [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 6 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]

Flop betting: Big blind checks. Hero....?

I'll post my analysis below so before you read it, tell me yours.

I'm posting this here, not on say the SSNLHE forum, because I am essentially a NLHE beginner and I think playing the short stack game from GSiH is a very beginner-oriented topic. Some details in this hand may be inaccurate, but we can pretend they're correct and still analyze the hand based on my description. Given the choice of vague accuracy or precise but dubious detail, I've opted for the latter to give us something concrete to discuss.
Old 10-23-2005, 03:20 PM

Default Re: $1-2 Foxwoods hand - Miller GSIH short stack AKo Q66 flop

nut no pair w/6 outs and backdoor straight, I would push. you're getting up to 3-1 pot odds on all-in if both players call, domination advantage and you have clean redraws to anything except vs. rag-6.
Old 10-23-2005, 04:39 PM

I'd push. You might get called by A9. You might get 44 to fold. If you get called by something like 22, you have a ton of outs, since any ace, king, or queen would win for you, so you're only a 60-40 underdog.
Old 10-23-2005, 08:24 PM

I pushed for more or less the reasons weighing earlier. I think the fact that Villain had folded to a smaller bet earlier also weighed on my mind; perhaps this would make it more likely he would fold something like pocket eights or nines.

Of course you can probably infer the result of the hand if you try really hard. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img] But I thought that was the correct play, even though GSIH is sort of vague about when it is or isn't right to push with overcards (only calling it "always a safe play" first in).