Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-12-2005, 05:07 PM

Default Fancy Play Syndrome at 10/20?

I've come to suspect that I have become a little TOO creative with my plays at the 10/20 level in particular. Multitabling 10/20 for over a year gives one a great ability to read opponents and their tendencies, and often I find my desire is to punish these tendencies with what could be seen as fancy plays. But I'm often finding that I don't feel I'm getting rewarded for these types of plays in my winrate. It could be variance, but I thought I'd check with others and see if they could relate to the sentiment I'm feeling. I wonder if anyone else has had to consciously force themselves to play more straight-up and more "transparently", and with less trickery.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:27 PM

Default Re: Fancy Play Syndrome at 10/20?

Me too.

I had a coaching session with one of the more prominent online coaches a couple months back, and I couldn't believe how straightforward the advice was. I'm thinking "Look at that board! semi-bluff CR the turn and that guy's out of here!"

You see some folks who don't believe anybody and start making tricky plays all the time, and it starts feeling normal to join in the tomfoolery.
Old 10-12-2005, 05:33 PM

Default Re: Fancy Play Syndrome at 10/20?

I still make the occassional fancy play, especially if I think I have observed something that can be exploited. But I have found it much more profitable to play straightforwardly, because there are only a handful of players who are decent enough to get away from mediocre hands postflop. So I am content to just get my money in with the best of it as often as I can, and I try to avoid fancy plays that will only make me an extra SB if they work.

The main mistake made in 10/20 still seems to me to be players getting married to hands even in the face of aggression. So my main focus is valuebetting every opportunity I can. Sure, there is more to it than that, but I try to make sure I don't get away from what wins me the money.