Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em

Old 09-29-2005, 02:01 PM

Default PARTY 30 . A9s CO. WELL PLAYED?

5handed 30/60 on party poker. game just started and i jumped in making three, i believe... only seen about ten hands and nothing too outrageous from anyone, they seem pretty typical for this game...
game is playing v aggro (duh)... multiple bets on the cheap streets every hand and lots of showdowns.
im posting this hand because MP typed wp (well played) into the chat posthand, but im thinking maybe op (overplayed) mightve been more appropriate?

PF: MP opens, i threebet A [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], BB calls, MP too

three of us and it comes down...
T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]9 [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]3 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
checkcheck, i bet, bb checkraises, MP threebets, i call two, bb calls.

turn: 4 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
check, MP bets, i raise, BB calls two, MP calls.

river: K [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]
checkcheckcheck
Old 09-29-2005, 02:11 PM

Default Re: PARTY 30 . A9s CO. WELL PLAYED?

I'd probably play it how you did, but I'm not sure that's correct. I think it's interesting so here are some thoughts and I'll try to work it through as I type.

Would MP check three bet with a hand you beat? It would be one thing if it was checked to you, BB folded and he raised. But you bet got checkraised by a probable ten or big draw and now he is check-three betting. So my read from this action is one of them is on a draw (flush, str8, super, etc) and the other has a pair of tens or better. A-10 is reasonable and a concern b/c it has you drawing to two outs. 10-9s is poss from MP, less likely from SB unless he is a chucklehead.

Getting 7.5-1, the flop coldcall is prob ok, but you need a big parlay to be ahead here much of the time. On the turn, I don't know if I like raising b/c you're unlikely to be ahead of both players and may be killed by MP. So while you're charging the draw, I think you are often charging yourself as well and the raise will never win the pot.

Definitely the river check is correct. Just some thoughts...cool hand.

Jeff
Old 09-29-2005, 02:15 PM

id lean to calling the turn, but i think its very close. there is a decent chance MP has a medium T.
Old 09-29-2005, 03:19 PM

I take it you are folding to a 3bet on the turn? Or are you calling looking to improve and folding for one on the river? Or are you crying and calling praying you're against QJ (given the river wasn't a face card). The flop call when it's 2 back to you seems a little sketchy to me but is OK if you thought they could be that aggressive with hands you have outs to/with draws.

-DrG
Old 09-29-2005, 03:30 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I take it you are folding to a 3bet on the turn? Or are you calling looking to improve and folding for one on the river? Or are you crying and calling praying you're against QJ (given the river wasn't a face card). The flop call when it's 2 back to you seems a little sketchy to me but is OK if you thought they could be that aggressive with hands you have outs to/with draws.

-DrG

[/ QUOTE ]

He's a dog to any good draw, even if ahead now.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:12 PM

i play the same way too, and i reckon in the overagg game this is, it is correct. nice hand.
Old 09-29-2005, 04:24 PM

i dont think raising the turn folds out any better hands. all that raising does it set yourself up to be 3bet when you could easily be drawing to 5 outs. since you should be behind way more often than not, protecting your hand against draws has little value.
Old 09-29-2005, 05:13 PM

perfect.