Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Gambling > Psychology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-12-2005, 02:31 AM

Default Poker Wires Me Up...

...to the point where I can't sleep for about 3 hours after playing, even if I was tired enough to have gone to bed BEFORE playing. This has been the case for like a year (basically since I started playing online). Even if I play for let's say 15 minutes, I'm totally WIRED afterwards. This is not good considering I just started a fulltime job (which I need to be at in 6 hours incidentally).

Others share similar experiences?
Old 09-12-2005, 02:34 AM

Default Re: Poker Wires Me Up...

yes this is the case for me. i tried to set myself a nice schedule where id start playing at like 8pm (the games are best at night) and would quit at 12 then go to sleep. when i did that what would end up happening is that i couldnt go to sleep until 4am. sometimes id end up playing some more while im wired since its a good time to get hands in as im thinking clearly and would end up falling asleep at 8am 3 hours after i quit. its almost impossible for me to keep a schedule anymore when im actively playing unless that schedule entails me waking up during the evening every day.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:38 AM

[ QUOTE ]
yes this is the case for me. i tried to set myself a nice schedule where id start playing at like 8pm (the games are best at night) and would quit at 12 then go to sleep. when i did that what would end up happening is that i couldnt go to sleep until 4am. sometimes id end up playing some more while im wired since its a good time to get hands in as im thinking clearly and would end up falling asleep at 8am 3 hours after i quit. its almost impossible for me to keep a schedule anymore when im actively playing unless that schedule entails me waking up during the evening every day.

[/ QUOTE ]

Well then you know exactly what I'm talking about. This was fine and dandy when I was at college, and over the summer I actually managed to get it under control such that I only played into the wee hours maybe 5 whole times in 3 months...

but now with a 9-7 salaried job even one 'bad night' is enough to throw me off for a week. Dammit. I'm gonna be tired all week. Sigh... it's frigging depressing.
Old 09-12-2005, 02:46 AM

3 words.
Nyquil.
Party on.
Old 09-12-2005, 10:19 AM

I had the same issue. You must make sure to quit at a reasonable time (no more "one more orbit, this table is so good"). I also brew up a cup of Melatonin tea. You can buy it at health food stores or online. It will put you right out with no ill effects in the morning.