Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Mid-, High-Stakes Pot- and No-Limit Hold'em

Old 06-17-2005, 12:53 PM

Default bizarre river 600nl

Went for a flop check raise and missed, then I almost raised the turn and then was glad i didnt, and then i get the supertough river card with this many people in. When he bet $100 my first instinct was oh great he has a monster, but i think im good here more than a third of the time, am i?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ BB (9 handed) converter

saw flop|<font color="#C00000">saw showdown</font>

SB ($707.8)
<font color="#C00000">BB ($600)</font>
<font color="#C00000">Hero ($753.5)</font>
UTG+1 ($611.55)
MP1 ($2391.43)
MP2 ($585)
MP3 ($986.55)
CO ($1625.08)
Button ($472.2)

Preflop: Hero is UTG with A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $3.
Hero calls $6, UTG+1 calls $6, MP1 calls $6, MP2 calls $6, MP3 calls $6, CO calls $6, Button calls $6, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, BB checks.

Flop: ($51) 6[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks, UTG+1 checks, MP1 checks, MP2 checks, MP3 checks, CO checks, Button checks.

Turn: ($51) 7[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(8 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $35</font>, Hero calls $35, UTG+1 calls $35, MP1 folds, MP2 folds, MP3 calls $35, CO folds, Button calls $35.

River: ($226) J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets $100</font>, Hero ??
Final Pot: $426
Old 06-17-2005, 01:20 PM

Default Re: bizarre river 600nl

seems like kind of a blocking bet. I call, you are beating plenty of other two pairs in this hand.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:11 PM

Looks like he is value betting a straight here. Two pair or a busted flush draw are also a possibility. Enough hands you beat to call.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:27 PM

I wouldn't worry about the players behind given their actions, although I doubt you are going to call a big raise so that would only factor in if this was a very close decision.

I think BB has 2-pair enough times to make this call correct. I also think a set is just as likely as a straight from BB but I would still call.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:40 PM

I dont see a set here at all, i doubt 77 would bet less than pot on turn and less than half pot on river. Straight maaaybe but it just dont smell like one....i would value raise this to maybe 250 and fold if he pushes although i wouldnt like it. Top two is good enough times imo.
Old 06-17-2005, 02:55 PM

i called and he had 35 for a straight

one of my friends berated me saying it was an obvious straight and a player at the table said he folded A7

sorta made me feel like an idiot, thanks for the responses
Old 06-17-2005, 03:06 PM

Not an idiotic call at all. I assume it was the button that folded A7- a much easier fold than yours, considering he had to overcall. I'm not sure he would have laid it down for that amount if it were headsup.
Old 06-17-2005, 03:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]
seems like kind of a blocking bet. I call, you are beating plenty of other two pairs in this hand.

[/ QUOTE ]

what's a blocking bet?
Old 06-17-2005, 03:15 PM

How the heck was anything obvios about what the guy had at all? You got very little information from him because no one tested his hand. I like the call, too. You can't worry about anyone behind you - and it's really possible he could be on a weaker 2pr.

nh

Marlow
[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]
Old 06-17-2005, 03:20 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

what's a blocking bet?

[/ QUOTE ]

It's kind of a bet that you make with somewhat marginal hand (like bottom two pair would make a blocking bet on this board) with intentions of folding to a raise, as opposed to a value bet which the straight was making, b/c he is likely not folding to any raise here, and he wants to be at least called here.

For instance, let's say the flush card completes on the river, your AA overpair hand line might be: bet-fold, instead of check-call.

Basically, you bet smaller than you'd wish to call from him if he has you beat already. Let's say you have AA, and you suspect he has a set, but the flush card comes in, so you just lead a smaller amount than you'd call, if you suspect he'll value bet his set even though the flush card hit.

Here's a google'd definition:
A blocking bet is a bet made by a person who is out of position and makes an abnormally small bet into you at the river with the intention of getting to a cheaper showdown. He would normally do this because he is afraid that you are going to make a large river bet and he hopes that he when makes this smaller blocking bet, that you will just call out of confusion rather than raise him.
source