Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 06-10-2005, 02:04 PM

Default Re: AQs -- a standard 3/6 hand?

Id still call. I dont give too much credit to ppl whos 74 %vpip. Ive seen some strange caps by ppl like that before. If he plays that poorly preflop he might play very poorly postflop aswell. I think there is atleast a small chance that he is betting something like a smaller flush or trip tens.
Old 06-10-2005, 02:29 PM

Would anyone bet the turn?
(and under what conditions)
Old 06-10-2005, 04:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Would anyone bet the turn?
(and under what conditions)

[/ QUOTE ]

Well, I did just pick up a lot of potential outs.

When BB checked the turn, I guess maybe I should have been thinking he just had QQ/JJ/AQs or something and started wondering if I could push him off of QQ/JJ (or a lower pocket pair) if that's what he had.

What I was thinking instead was, "Whatever." It wasn't until he checked again on the river that I decided he probably didn't have much.

Anyway, another consideration in this particular hand is that there was hardly any chance of getting MP2 to fold on the turn. If he liked his hand enough to see the turn, he was going to take his hand to the river, unless the action got really heavy. And if his hand had any showdown value at all, I didn't think he'd fold on the river, either.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:36 PM

Default Results and thoughts

It took me about ten seconds to decide, but I folded.

Here's the whole hand:

Party Poker 3/6 Hold'em (9 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is Button with A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], Q[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, MP2 calls, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Flop: (9.33 SB) T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, MP2 calls, Hero calls.

Turn: (6.16 BB) T[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, MP2 checks, Hero checks.

River: (6.16 BB) 5[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
BB checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#CC3333">BB 3-bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP2 caps</font>, Hero folds, BB calls.

Final Pot: 16.16 BB

Results:
BB has Kd Kh (full house, kings full of tens).
MP2 has Tc Kc (full house, tens full of kings).
Outcome: BB wins 16.16 BB.

MP2 is much more passive than most 3/6 players, but in a trappy game like Party 3/6, I don't think BB's turn play is unusual at all. (And his numbers for the 110 hands I now have on him are 20/15/3.4.) The river check, on the other hand, did show a lot of patience.

Anyway, if he and MP2 had played faster on the turn, things could have gotten pretty uncomfortable for me on that street. I probably would have called two, figuring BB quite likely just had two pair, and MP2 probably just made trips, and then I would have really hated it when it came back two more to me and I had to decide in the now much bigger pot if I was in fact drawing dead with my flush draw and gutshot.

Anyway, the river fold did save me 2 BB's, like Private Joker mentioned, but it was a little risky, as if I had been wrong, I might have thrown up on my computer.

Thanks for the responses.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:42 PM

sorry if i'm being gay but i was thinking:
seeing as the board is paired (your draw weakened and your pot equity possibly 0), you probably need a decent chance of both players folding for a turn bet to be correct (please shoot me down);

for their to be a "decent" chance of both folding there needs to be a "good" chance of A folding and a "good" chance of B folding (speaking roughly cos you aint got much time at the table);

if
1)tight player's turn check strongly implies he has JJ or QQ and can be pushed off it

2)loose player folds lots on turn

then i reckon bet, so long as (3)you don't fear the check raise too much;
otherwise check

so...am i rubbish?
Old 06-10-2005, 04:46 PM

o yeah, and if you're thinking about semibluffing what stats from PT do people use?

what about folds% / (folds% + call%) on the particular street as the rough guide?
Old 06-10-2005, 05:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
sorry if i'm being gay but i was thinking:
seeing as the board is paired (your draw weakened and your pot equity possibly 0), you probably need a decent chance of both players folding for a turn bet to be correct (please shoot me down);

for their to be a "decent" chance of both folding there needs to be a "good" chance of A folding and a "good" chance of B folding (speaking roughly cos you aint got much time at the table);

if
1)tight player's turn check strongly implies he has JJ or QQ and can be pushed off it

2)loose player folds lots on turn

then i reckon bet, so long as (3)you don't fear the check raise too much;
otherwise check

so...am i rubbish?

[/ QUOTE ]

A few thoughts:

Although the board did pair on the turn, making it possible I'm drawing dead, I do now also have a four-flush, so my draw quite likely became stronger instead of weaker. I do think a turn semi-bluff is something to consider.

However, even though 3/6 players will lay down a hand, I wasn't very confident about getting BB to dump QQ/JJ. I hadn't really shown that much strength during the hand, and I think 3/6 players do get a bit attached to their premium pairs. I think the chances of getting him to drop 99/88 are pretty good, though.

MP2 was going to call, but I wouldn't mind getting heads-up with him, as he could just have 86o (for a gutshot) or something. Still, he could also have me beat with 22 or 75s. It was pretty hard to put him on any sort of a specific hand.

As for concerns about a checkraise, BB's turn check made me suspicious, and I was worried he was lining up a raise.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:16 PM

Nice hand, it was a perfect river fold, no regrets (even if they did show down worse hands, you aren't good the 10% or whatever you need to be with this action), and be thankful those two idiots both decided to slowplay the flop and especially the turn.