Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em

Old 06-04-2005, 11:53 AM

Default Very questionable 33 hand

OK, sorry to say it, but I have little to no reads on anyone. I was fiddling around trying to get playerview to work while pokertracker was crashing while 4-tabling, so I really don't know much of anything about the players in question. There seems to be a lot of room for debate on this, what do you guys think?

Party Poker 2/4 Hold'em (8 handed) converter

Preflop: Hero is UTG+1 with 3[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]. MP2 posts a blind of $2. CO posts a blind of $2.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, MP2 (poster) checks, CO (poster) checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls, MP2 calls, CO calls.

Flop: (11 SB) 3[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(5 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">SB bets</font>, Hero calls, MP2 folds, CO folds, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, <font color="#CC3333">Hero 3-bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Turn: (10 BB) 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Button raises</font>, SB calls, Hero calls.

River: (16 BB) 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
SB checks, <font color="#CC3333">Hero bets</font>, Button calls, SB calls.

Final Pot: 19 BB

Thanks for the imput.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:01 PM

Default Re: Very questionable 33 hand

Looks fine except 3-bet the turn, you're not shutting anyone out at that point.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:08 PM

Sucks that SB bet the flop but with the pf raiser behind you I probabbly raise and see if you could get a nice pot builder going. The turn raise is strange but I'm three betting here if capped I check/call the river if not I lead the river.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:32 PM

I think the flop smooth call is fine, and I'm not slowing down on the turn until he gives you a little more reason to, esepcially since you have SB trapped. Its much more likely that he loves his AK or hit with A8/A9 than he has AA which is really the only hand you can be too afraid of here.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:30 PM

..looks pretty standard.

You had the best hand. Two pair paid you off nicely.

Why didnt you put more money in on the turn?
Old 06-04-2005, 02:36 PM

Eh, I think smooth-calling or raising this flop are pretty equal. However, I really think you needed to 3-bet the turn. There are way too many possible hands he'd play that way that you crush.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:46 PM

I think calling the flop raise is much better than raising when it comes back around since you are in perfect position to checkraise the button on the turn and trap the SB for 2BB instead of getting an extra 1SB out of each of them on the flop.

They way you played it, 3-bet the turn.
Old 06-04-2005, 04:28 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Sucks that SB bet the flop but with the pf raiser behind you I probabbly raise and see if you could get a nice pot builder going. The turn raise is strange but I'm three betting here if capped I check/call the river if not I lead the river.

[/ QUOTE ]

i'd play it like this (i'm no authority). The pots pretty big and you're probably getting a fair bit of action with the ace + PF raiser behind, so i'd raise this multiway flop automatically. Having said that this flop is pretty ragged...

Also, no-one's questioned the PF decision. Maybe my table selection blows but i rarely expect 4 opponents on the flop at this limit. Do you not require at least 4:1 to play small PPs? In this hand you're initial investment of 1BB earned you 10.5BB (and you should have reraised the turn).
Is it commonplace to play 33 UTG+1 or just cos it was a nice table (ideal would be loose passive preflop and loose-agg postflop, i'm thinking)?
Old 06-04-2005, 04:55 PM

Unless you are at a tight passive table, I think the evolving consensus is that you should be playing any pair UTG in most low limit games. Either there will be a calling station or two who will pay off all the way to the river, or you'll run into TAGs or LAGs who will put in several bets postflop with a second-best hand often enough to turn a big enough profit. Plus, if you do wind up something like HU or 3-way, you can sometimes play the hand profitably postflop without a set, depending on the flop, players, and position.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:15 PM

I kinda had a brain fart momentarily and wussed out for no good reason. Hence the river stop-and-go.