Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Stud
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-26-2005, 12:57 PM

Default 20-40 Stud on Party

Before we get to the hand I have to biitch for a minute about how downhill this game has gone from when it was introduced to the party mix a year and a half ago. I played a ten hour session in it last night (I have been so sick of playing hold'em I had to do something else) and I was jipped out of several hundred dollars in disconnects. Still managed to book a nice win, but still, I lost a lot of big bets to the cheap disconnect ploy. Its like it was a staple play in this game. People were doing it and laughing/chatting about how they werent going to pay off but were still going to "see it" through their disconnect. It was absolutely sick. I've sent several emails to party about this happening lately in this game, and they havent done anything. Partys support in matters like this is truly terrible.

Anyway, heres an interesting but brief hand. My opponent is "OSUoverMiami", a player I've had pegged as soild for awhile.

7 Card Stud High ($20/$40), Ante $2, Bring-In $5 (hand converter)

3rd Street - (0.60 SB)

Seat 2: xx xx 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 3: xx xx 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___folds
Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img]___completes
Seat 5: xx xx 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___brings-in___calls
Seat 8: xx xx T[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___folds

4th Street - (2.60 SB)

Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]___bets
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]___calls

5th Street - (2.30 BB)

Seat 4: xx xx K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___bets___folds
Hero: J[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]___raises

Total pot: (3.30 BB)
Old 05-26-2005, 02:20 PM

Default Re: 20-40 Stud on Party

Mike,

Did you see my post below about this game? I think the low ante structure both sucks and blows. Why not play 30-60 on Stars instead? If you sit, they will come lol. This game has a $5 ante and $10 bring-in. The way this is structured, I might fold on 3rd. Is that weak? I certainly would fold and not raise on 5th. You say this guy is solid...if so, he is probably not raising light on 3rd in this structure. AK10 is cert. possible, but if so, he has a pair of aces. If you're determined to see this to the end, the raise is ok. But I don't think it's necessary really.

Jeff
Old 05-26-2005, 02:36 PM

I think I fold third. Even if he is stealing with complete garbage, it is overwhelmingly likely that he has three over-cards to your stinky little Treys, so it's not like you're a huge favorite in that case. I also fold fourth. You don't call on third if you're just going to fold fourth, of course, but he caught an Ace, which could easily have hit some of the hands that he could have been stealing with, if he didn't have you trounced already. I'm glad the raise on fifth worked out and all, but you risked two big bets over a very small (3+ BB) pot. If you're not willing to make a play like this once in a while, though, you shouldn't get involved in the first place. If the other guy will steal from that position with absolutely anything, I like your play a little better. That doesn't quite fit my definition of "solid," and especially with the small ante, you really don't give up anything by folding on third.

With the standard $3 ante, I would be more inclined to play as you did.
Old 05-26-2005, 02:52 PM

I shouldn't give out this kind of info, but it seems like the only times the 20/40 is good are during the day. I often play pretty early on weekdays and it's often quite tasty. And I've never had to deal with much in the way of disconnects.

I'd certainly be folding somewhere in this hand, but NH, sir! Nothing wrong with occasionally trying a resteal.
Old 05-26-2005, 08:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Mike,

Did you see my post below about this game? I think the low ante structure both sucks and blows. Why not play 30-60 on Stars instead? If you sit, they will come lol. This game has a $5 ante and $10 bring-in. The way this is structured, I might fold on 3rd. Is that weak? I certainly would fold and not raise on 5th. You say this guy is solid...if so, he is probably not raising light on 3rd in this structure. AK10 is cert. possible, but if so, he has a pair of aces. If you're determined to see this to the end, the raise is ok. But I don't think it's necessary really.

Jeff

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks Jeff. I actually was going to get an account on stars sometime this week in order to play in that game. The few times I've looked at it I didnt even see anyone sitting there but I suppose your thinking "if you sit they will come" might be right. [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

[ QUOTE ]

I shouldn't give out this kind of info, but it seems like the only times the 20/40 is good are during the day.

[/ QUOTE ]

I've actually found the same thing to be true. I think it has to do with all the poor playing foreigners that populate the early morning and afternoon.

Anyway, I agree with what the consensus was by the three of you. In a fairly small pot it was a risky play. The bottom line was this player had been completing with damn near everything and I was tired of giving him my antes. I think the third street call wasnt that bad. Most soild players are going to always complete here with an ace. But when he caught the ace on fourth I agree I probably should have mucked. On fifth I figured raise or fold as I didnt want to give him cheap cards if he had no pair. If he calls at least I can be certain I'm behind.

Mike Emery
Old 05-26-2005, 10:10 PM

Also, do you like Stud8? 30-60 Split goes 24-7 on Stars just about.

Jeff