Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-05-2004, 06:52 PM

Default Re: waiting for big edge

[ QUOTE ]
I like the play and think that the whole Ed Miller thang works here.

[/ QUOTE ]

You are wrong [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

But I have been known to be wrong as well [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

T
Old 12-05-2004, 07:48 PM

What about the edge % consideration combined with the extra BB's that come from waiting for the double bets? It didn't look right to me at first but thinking about it I couldn't see anything too wrong with waiting. It's like waiting for a better edge combined with a slowplay. It's pretty interesting actually--a relatively unique situation where your hand is very strong on the flop except to maybe 6-10 cards that can really cripple it. A monster with an achilles heel. Either one of those cards doesn't come and you collect double bets (from worse made hands and from draws) with better equity or one of those cards does come and you can see what happens in front of you before deciding on how to proceed, fully utilizing position. I'm not sure if my thinking is solid here or not, but I think this one is worthy of some deeper analysis.
Old 12-05-2004, 08:38 PM

Thanks for all the responses. I'm still not convinced either way. I wasn't trying to protect my hand as I agree its not possible. I did think I had a fair chance of getting away from the hand cheaply if a bad card hit.

Suppose I can guarantee that the turn gets bet to me when a blank hits, would it be correct then? If so, how often does the turn have to be bet for waiting to be +ev.

FWIW I was confident the turn would be bet.

chez
Old 12-05-2004, 08:43 PM

[ QUOTE ]
I can see sticking to Paradise -- those 3/6 games are soo full of untricky passive calling stations, making 3BB/100 is a freakin' cakewalk.

[/ QUOTE ]

shhh! [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img]
Old 12-05-2004, 08:55 PM

Sorry, sorry! [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]

It's interesting, I hate the 5/10 games there, they're often annoyingly tough . . . but the 3/6 games, and lord, especially the 1/2 games, are just soooooooooooooooooooooooo soft it's pathetic. I could teach a retarded chimp how to make 4BB/100+ on the 1/2 tables.