Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-11-2005, 04:30 PM

Default Overplayed AA or just lucky opponent draw?

This isn't intended as a bad beat post, because I'd like to know whether I played this wrong.
Compliments of PokerGeek
PokerStars NL Hold'em Tournament - 100/200 Blinds (7 handed)

Starting Stacks
Seat 2: MP (Hero) (T6984)
Seat 3: LP (T3062)
Seat 4: CO (T4634)
Seat 5: Button (T6560)
Seat 7: Small blind (T5653)
Seat 8: Big blind (T7650)
Seat 9: UTG (T10969)

Preflop: Hero is MP with A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, Hero raises (1000), LP folds, CO folds, Button folds, Small blind folds, Big blind calls (800)

Flop: (T2100) 5[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
Big blind checks, Hero bets (1600), Big blind raises (3600), Hero all-in (5959), Big blind calls (2359)

Turn: (T9659) J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(0 players)</font>

River: (T9659) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(0 players)</font>

Final Pot: T14218

Results in white below:
<font color="#FFFFFF">Big blind has 9d 9h (three of a kind, Nines)
MP has Ac Ah (a pair of Aces)
Outcome: Villian wins T14218
</font>
When I re-raised him on the flop, I'd hoped he was on a strong K or flush draw. I figured he wouldn't have called $800 with something as weak as K-9. But should I have been more cautious at this point? At that point, I didn't think a call was right. it was either push or fold. I'd love your thoughts.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:43 PM

Default Re: Overplayed AA or just lucky opponent draw?

I'd say about 90% of the time your looking at Ak KQ KJ here and you made the right play. You got 2-outed... [censored] happens.

Though im a little more confused about the 5xBB bet preflop. You want 1-2 opponents to call you preflop.. And a raise that puts people in for 15-20% of their stack is not going to give you that. While you got the call from the BB, most of the time this is going to get folded around..
Old 12-11-2005, 04:47 PM

You raised enough that he didn't have the right implied odds to fish for a set. That means that even if you go ahead and pay him off when he hits one, it's still a mistake for him to call pre-flop.

I generally don't like raising a larger than ordinary amount with AA, because I think it sends up red flags, and I don't want my opponents to know I don't have AA when I make a standard raise.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:50 PM

Sometimes they flop a set. Other times they have KQ.

NH.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
You raised enough that he didn't have the right implied odds to fish for a set. That means that even if you go ahead and pay him off when he hits one, it's still a mistake for him to call pre-flop.

I generally don't like raising a larger than ordinary amount with AA, because I think it sends up red flags, and I don't want my opponents to know I don't have AA when I make a standard raise.

[/ QUOTE ]

True.. but your assuming the 99 knew he was up against an overpair. Way to often I see overbets preflop signalling AK or AQ (though JJ comes up occasionally too). A flop of a 9 OR all undercards (or no A or K) could have been exactly what the BB was looking for as he did not put you on an overpair.

Which brings up the dilemma of AA.. bet to much and you get no action... bet to little and you give the odds to be drawn out against. Hence the saying, "with AA you usually win a small pot, or lose a massive one"
Old 12-11-2005, 04:57 PM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

So calling a 800 raise to stack someone of upwards of 9500 chips is not getting the right IMPLIED odds?

If I have 9s and I think I can take someone's remaining chips, then those are the implied odds. He had nowhere near the immediate odds to call the bet, but the BB didn't know he had Aces. Original raiser has a wider range that include AK, AQ, KQ, maybe even AJ. If I was the BB, I call it.
Old 12-11-2005, 04:59 PM

As a point of clarification, I'd raised T$1000 a few times when opening so while the consensus seems to be it was an overbet, it wasn't an USUSUAL bet size. i.e. larger than previous ones.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:30 PM

Sorry for the confusion, when I say it's a mistake for 99 to call pre-flop, I mean that Hero, knowing he holds Aces, has raised enough that a hand like 99 will not have the correct implied odds to call. I don't know where you are getting 9K from, Hero has ~7K in his stack and BB has to call 800, which means he's got to take Hero's stack better than 1/10 times PLUS avoid losing his stack when they both flop a set or an overpair.
Old 12-11-2005, 05:37 PM

This is a bad beat post, to me. Everyone goes broke in this spot. Don't worry about it. Only had on that flop that beats you is pocket nines, to me. KK would have pushed to that raise and the other set potentially would have laid it down in a $55 MTT.
Old 12-11-2005, 08:11 PM

Not a chance 55 was laying this down... ever. If, for whatever reason, he called preflop with 55, and then folds when a 5 hits.. why in the hell was he in the hand then? To hit a 1 carded straight?