Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-2005, 01:21 AM

Default Lucid Dreaming

Has anyone succesfully done this? Any recommendations?

wikipedia on lucid dreaming
Old 10-13-2005, 01:26 AM

Default Re: Lucid Dreaming

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Yep, I have. And I've programmed myself to do it successfully before I went to sleep. All I did was believe that I could make it happen and told myself that I was going to make it happen. Waking yourself up in this situation is very easy, a little too easy as if you even sort of feel like waking up, you will. It's kind of fun, but I haven't done it a bunch because it was mildly entertaining.

I happened upon my first lucid dream accidentally. The events that occurred were such that I just thought, "This is BS, I must be dreaming," and then realized that I was. On later occassionas I took control of the events in the dream. I figured I'd be able to control the events as the events in a dream are generated by the brain.

YMMV
Old 10-13-2005, 02:25 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I often realize that I am dreaming and then control what I do in the dream. Sometimes I wonder if I am dreaming and decide that I am not, and later I wake up. I have also had multiply nested dreams, or dreams inside of other dreams. Sometimes I have difficulty waking up. The converse never happens, that is, I never really decide that I'm dreaming when I am not.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:36 AM

I never had a multiply nested dream until I saw a McDonald's commerical in which some guy had one.

:P

Another way McDonald's has caused damage to this world.
Old 10-13-2005, 02:51 AM

i think most people have done this at one time or another. ever will yourself to fly? your prolly having a lucid dream.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:04 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I never had a multiply nested dream until I saw a McDonald's commerical in which some guy had one.

:P

Another way McDonald's has caused damage to this world.

[/ QUOTE ]

Didn't you see american werewolf in london?

I've never had a nested dream (that I know of) but have lucid dreams regularly.

chez
Old 10-13-2005, 03:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
I've had lucid dreams only a handful of times (over too many years!) and the technique that made me "aware" was the following of several techniques I've read about.

Tell yourself before drifting off to sleep that if you see any writing you will reread it and see if it changes. If it does then you are set up to say to yourself in the dream "It changed I must be dreaming".

This can a street sign, a book title, any writing..read it look away and reread it.

I told my daugter of this method and a couple of days later she had her first lucid dream.

Keep at it (however you try .You will get a real kick when you do it!

Now I'm going to make an effort and try and have another one!
Old 10-13-2005, 03:25 AM

I have done this unintentionally on numerous occasions. Usually, I realize that the things that are happening don't make sense or that I'm in a store or place that doesn't exist anymore. I've tried then to control what is happening in my dream, which is very difficult for me. I usually think "hey, this is a dream, let's do some messed up stuff" but then I start thinking "I hope I don't wake up" and then I wake up before I get to change the outcome of my dream. Either I wake up, or the dream vanishes into another dream and I forget that I'm dreaming. But I do have definite realizations that I'm dreaming and can only do anything while knowing this for a short time before I wake up or am swept away to another dream which I believe to be true(I get refooled into thinking that my dream is real). I always remember it in the morning and say "damn, I forgot to control it again".
Old 10-13-2005, 03:26 AM

Become 'aware' in your dreams is a direct reflection of how 'aware' you are in your 'waking' life.

To answer your question - yes, many times. Everyone has, but not everyone 'remembers'.
Old 10-13-2005, 03:36 AM

www.lucidity.com

Theres's a really informative forum there.