Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics

Old 10-13-2005, 05:41 AM

Default Re: Sleep Paralysis & False Awakenings

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah this is pretty common and I get it all the time. It happens when you are in REM sleep

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm pretty sure it takes place just before REM sleep.

Regardless, and oddly enough, this thread comes just a week after I realized that I occasionally have night terrors (last week I think I had my 2nd or 3rd ever.) Night terrors are closely related to sleep paralysis. The feeling is extremely eeire. Impending death is almost the same sensation that I recall, but it's pretty hard to describe. Anyways, yeah man, some crazy shiite.

Edit: I'd just like to add that, like everyone, I've always had some nightmares where I wake up just before I die in some way or another. These are not what I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats really odd b/c kids past the age of 10 usually dont get night terrors...its extremely rare - from what u described im not sure if thats what ur having - with night terrors u wake up extremely horrified, sometimes crying and cannnot explain why and dont remember anything - this is b/c they occur BEFORE REM sleep
Old 10-13-2005, 05:42 AM

[ QUOTE ]
This happened to me about 3 monnths ago. I felt like I could not breath but I wasn't suffocating. I scared the hell out of me as I has not idea what it was at the time. I haven't had one since but I would hope i'm able to recognize what is going on and not panic as I think that made it worse.

[/ QUOTE ]

uve prolly had a few, frequently people dont always recall them happening b/c it is during REM sleep
Old 10-13-2005, 05:57 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Yeah this is pretty common and I get it all the time. It happens when you are in REM sleep

[/ QUOTE ]

Regardless, and oddly enough, this thread comes just a week after I realized that I occasionally have night terrors (last week I think I had my 2nd or 3rd ever.) Night terrors are closely related to sleep paralysis. The feeling is extremely eeire. Impending death is almost the same sensation that I recall, but it's pretty hard to describe. Anyways, yeah man, some crazy shiite.

Edit: I'd just like to add that, like everyone, I've always had some nightmares where I wake up just before I die in some way or another. These are not what I'm talking about.

[/ QUOTE ]

thats really odd b/c kids past the age of 10 usually dont get night terrors...its extremely rare - from what u described im not sure if thats what ur having - with night terrors u wake up extremely horrified, sometimes crying and cannnot explain why and dont remember anything - this is b/c they occur BEFORE REM sleep

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an expert. And, being a lazy person, I only skimmed over a couple web pages on the subject. But, for the most part, what others described is basically what I recall. It's all very hazy. But, last week I woke up in a jolt. It feels like some strange force has siezed my body. I guess it seemed to have lasted maybe 3-10 seconds before I woke up (again, it's difficult to recall.) Before that, I get a vague sensation that I had been dreaming, but I can't remember what it was about. Anyways, upon waking up, I am terrified of the feeling that had just taken over me. I am at least sure of that.

Oh yeah, and one of the other times that I may have had a night terror, I do remember waking up gently yelling. That time I had no recollection about what I was dreaming about.

Oh yeah again, though I don't think I had night terrors as a child, I used to sleep walk.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:05 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm not an expert. And, being a lazy person, I only skimmed over a couple web pages on the subject. But, for the most part, what others described is basically what I recall. It's all very hazy. But, last week I woke up in a jolt. It feels like some strange force has siezed my body. I guess it seemed to have lasted maybe 3-10 seconds before I woke up (again, it's difficult to recall.) Before that, I get a vague sensation that I had been dreaming, but I can't remember what it was about. Anyways, upon waking up, I am terrified of the feeling that had just taken over me. I am at least sure of that.

Oh yeah, and one of the other times that I may have had a night terror, I do remember waking up gently yelling. That time I had no recollection about what I was dreaming about.

Oh yeah again, though I don't think I had night terrors as a child, I used to sleep walk.

[/ QUOTE ]

this sounds like combo of a few other things but not night terrors - mainly for the fact its not hazy its just not there at all and it doesnt happen while u were dreaming, so the fact u can recall something at all means its something all together different [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]

they occur in Stage 4 of sleep (before REM sleep), so no dreams!
Old 10-13-2005, 06:07 AM

Ive had the false awakenings things before numerous times. Its very dissapointing to go about your morning ritual over and over again. I dont think these things are anything to see a doctor over.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:08 AM

I've only had this happen twice -

both times after a mega drinking binge and the alcohol disrupted my sleep - scared the hell out of me.

GL on that

RB
Old 10-13-2005, 06:43 AM

I've had this. Totally immobile, mute, with a ghost pirate shouting in my face, a la Le Chuck. Ridiculously scary.
Old 10-13-2005, 06:55 AM

Here's a good link.

Sleep Paralysis and Associated Hypnagogic and Hypnopompic Experiences.
Old 10-13-2005, 07:21 AM

About a year ago I started logging all my dreams. Right before I went to sleep I would tell myself that I would remember any dreams I had during the night and when they were over I would wake up and write them down. To my surprise it actually worked pretty well. I was remembering at least a dream or 2 every night. I wanted to really get good at controling my dreams, but I got lazy and stopped. Sometimes I get the feeling in a dream that I am in control but it rarely happens. If I practiced a lil I think I could master it.
Old 10-13-2005, 08:38 AM

I've had sleep paralysis. It usually happens when I fall asleep listening to the radio and I wake up, but am unable to move at all. I feel myself reaching for the radio to turn it off, but I have no control of my arm.