Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Shorthanded

Old 12-13-2005, 05:51 PM

Default How to adjust to VERY loose shorthanded games?

Hi,

How do you adjust to the very loose shorthanded games? What are the differences in the strategy including preflop raising standards? Sometimes the players will call down almost all your raises preflop and it gets harder to play some borderline hands. For instance,

-I raise A5o on the button and the blinds call, then I bet the flop unimproved and they both call.

-Raise 66 on the button, get 2 callers again, Flop JT4, bet, 2 callers again

- is it good to still raise hands like JQo under the gun when you are likely to have like other 4 players calling it?

Maybe I still should just keep the original 2+2 raising standards anyway. Also there is some advice from sklansky holdem for advanced players saying that when you have TT this is a good hand to play against 2 players or less and sometimes is better just to limp with it, but here on 2+2 not raising it is usually considered weak.

I appreciate any advice on this, thank you.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:02 PM

Default Re: How to adjust to VERY loose shorthanded games?

I'd post hands. There's no standard line in these spots. I wouldn't raise QJ UTG 6-handed and not raising TT is very weak.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:06 PM

play a lot of hands in late position (low pairs, T9o, QTo, etc.), raise a lot of good multiway hands in late position (JTs, KJs, etc.). don't isolate with your weakest hands when the blinds will always call.

raising QJo utg at these tables sucks. i would also limp 44/55/66/77 utg. if it's passive enough throw in T9s and JTs (and more) as utg open limps as well.
Old 12-13-2005, 06:42 PM

The A5o - you can either bet the turn again ui hoping for a free showdown or check the turn and call a river bet

The 66 can be played the same

If you are in a game where you will often get 4 players cold calling an utg raise you need to tighten up a bit and muck your QJo