Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Poker > Omaha/8

Old 11-19-2005, 02:14 PM

Default Re: Should I start out playing limit, then move to PL?

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt this prove my point? You play almost no hands in the 2-4 range until May, when you luckbucket some wins in Video Poker. I dont consider 100 or 200 buyin games to be anything other than lowlimit. There's no shame in this, but let's not pretend its anything other than it is.

gl

dd

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong as always Dave, nice try though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, why do you berate the fish (and others) at the tables while playing?

-g
Old 11-20-2005, 07:10 AM

Default 400 buyin = big dawgz?

Says something about the relevance of plo8.
Old 11-21-2005, 07:46 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Doesnt this prove my point? You play almost no hands in the 2-4 range until May, when you luckbucket some wins in Video Poker. I dont consider 100 or 200 buyin games to be anything other than lowlimit. There's no shame in this, but let's not pretend its anything other than it is.

gl

dd

[/ QUOTE ]

You're wrong as always Dave, nice try though.

[/ QUOTE ]

Out of curiousity, why do you berate the fish (and others) at the tables while playing?

-g

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 11-21-2005, 10:40 PM

Default Ribbo and Wintermute

Funny Wintermute, you had no trouble pulling stuff off of my blog-- which you apparently read even though I small[er] limits player and even though like you, I have not advertised it on this site-- to ridicule me. So, this seems to be a case of the pot calling the kettle black.

Let me say, I enjoy reading both of your blogs and writings and I think you have both improved my play in certain respects. IMHO, you both know a lot about the game and both are entertaining writers.

That being said, the need to ridicule other people is a flaw which both of you share equally, and which detracts from your value as posters. All it really says is that you are both insecure. I give you credit however for at least being open and honest about your own play, warts and all. Your postings have helped me be more meticulously honest with myself about my own play-- which I think is very important.

Ribbo on the other hand, is less forthcoming with his results. Although he pooh poohs Pokertracker, I think not using it causes him to inflate his results in his own mind.

After many session with Ribbo, these are my stats on him, and how we match up.

I think Ribbo is a dynamic and profitable player, but think his claim to make $1000 a day is fanciful. I am SURE he is a more profitable player than I am. However, his cock-sure attitude makes him a player that I love to have at my table. He increases the action at most tables, and I have found that though he applies a lot of pressure and is capable of great laydowns, it is not that hard to get him heads-up for the pot with the best of it, especially if you observe him and read his stuff.

I close with this very typical flush draw raise by Ribbo, where is is a huge dog...

***** Hand History for Game *****
$200 PL Omaha Hi/Lo - Thursday, November 17, Seat 9 is the button
Total number of players : 10
Seat 1: Holyman_10 ( $582.54 )
Seat 3: patsa ( $108.93 )
Seat 4: LATERONDUDE ( $184.02 )
Seat 6: Ribbo ( $323.43 )
Seat 10: NUTS1201 ( $198.26 )
Seat 8: HERO ( $204.80 )
Seat 5: Intuition1 ( $39.18 )
Seat 7: GAMBIT314 ( $196.15 )
Seat 9: softhds1 ( $261.61 )
Seat 2: eddydragon ( $198.50 )
NUTS1201 posts small blind [$1].
Holyman_10 posts big blind [$2].
** Dealing down cards **
Dealt to HERO [ A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ]
eddydragon folds.
patsa folds.
LATERONDUDE folds.
Intuition1 folds.
Ribbo calls [$2].
GAMBIT314 folds.
HERO raises [$9].
softhds1 folds.
NUTS1201 folds.
Holyman_10 folds.
Ribbo calls [$7].
** Dealing Flop ** [ T[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 8[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Ribbo checks.
HERO bets [$19.95].
Ribbo raises [$79.80].
HERO is all-In.
Ribbo calls [$116].
** Dealing Turn ** [ Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ]
** Dealing River ** [ 7[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] ]
Ribbo shows [ 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] ] a pair of aces.
Ribbo shows 8,7,6,4,A for low.
HERO shows [ A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 3[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 2[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] ] three of a kind, aces.
HERO shows 8,7,3,2,A for low.
HERO wins $204.80 from the main pot with three of a kind, aces.
HERO wins Lo ($204.80) from the main pot with 8,7,3,2,A.
Old 11-21-2005, 10:50 PM

Default Re: Ribbo and Wintermute

Mend,

The difference is, Winter believes he is being funny, although he does sometimes miss that he *could* also be p.is.sing people off.

That is rarely the reason Ribbo does it.

gl

dd
Old 11-21-2005, 11:05 PM

I was thinking the same thing, but I will add that I think Ribbo's delivery is somewhat useful, because there is way too much weak tight advice floating around. The problem with that advice is that it often sounds right to those that don't know better (I am often in this camp), but it will keep you from reaching optimal play. I think a strong counter point to that type of advice is reasonable, although a little humility wouldn't hurt Ribbo at all. I like that Winter will admit to making occasional mistakes.
Old 11-21-2005, 11:52 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Funny Wintermute, you had no trouble pulling stuff off of my blog-- which you apparently read even though I small[er] limits player and even though like you, I have not advertised it on this site-- to ridicule me.

[/ QUOTE ]

I assume you're talking about this comment from the Barry G hand thread:

"I gauge the way you play based on the relatively tight stats you've posted as well as your intention to play a reduced-variance style by passing up +EV drawing situations on the flop at the $200 level, mentioned in your blog. I cannot see a player with that description having a full experiential understanding of the value of advertising as we are discussing here."

My point in that comment surely could not be mistaken as ridicule; rather, I was trying to explain why I thought you might not be seeing things the way I saw them in terms of LAG play advertising... I didn't mean for it to come off as a slam, simply a truthful explanation. I also attributed the comment to your blog, as you see, so as not to misrepresent what I was saying as something you had posted to the forum.

Also, I'm not sure why you would think I wouldn't read your blog simply because you play lower limits... Virtually everyone here plays low-mid limits, and I still post; in many ways, thinking about those games and hearing about others' experiences in them is just as useful as thinking/discussing bigger games.

Finally, as Big Dave D also mentioned, instances where I truly do ridicule someone are virtually always meant to be funny; I'm sure feelings occasionally get hurt, but that's just the nature of ball breaking. I think you'd be hard pressed to find an out-of-the-blue "you just suck" comment intended literally from me to another.
Old 11-22-2005, 12:35 AM

My skin isn't so thin. I actually enjoy your antics-- as well as Ribbo's. Its the air of superiority that I can do without at times. And I am flattered that anyone would read my blog, especially since it is pretty much zero content at the moment.
Old 11-22-2005, 05:33 AM

Cooker,

Nearly all the plo8b advice posted here, until recently, was flat out wrong. I was once involved in a huge thread as to why a naked A2 was a preflop fold regardless of action. The breadth of accurate PLo8b play is actually quite narrow, say compared to PLO. Ribbo isnt the most aggressive exponent of "right" play, and he certainly is mostly right about the games he mostly plays, but its not rocket science either.

gl

dd
Old 11-22-2005, 11:51 AM

I looked at a lot of your hands Ribbo. Is that you saying "ty" when you scoop a pot on people? That's total class.

Do you say that when you play live too?