Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Science, Math, and Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-02-2005, 11:58 AM

Default Re: Wrong!

[ QUOTE ]
I don't think there's any case for human evolution. The fossil record doesn't show a gradual morph from ape to man which is what Darwin predicted.

[/ QUOTE ]

Darwin never predicted that. Apes and Man evolved from a COMMON ancestor. Look at the pictures above - how do you ignore them. Not gradual enough for you??? And why do you ignore the DNA evidence presented by Maurile. It is far stronger than any other evidence.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:05 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Look at the pictures above - how do you ignore them. Not gradual enough for you??? And why do you ignore the DNA evidence presented by Maurile. It is far stronger than any other evidence.

[/ QUOTE ]

As I've said in another post, I responded to a maurile post citing one "family tree" concerning the first entry and haven't yet received an answer. Some determination needs to be made concerning that. I have looked at the second entry in that list and I find it very doubtful but I haven't researched it yet. I'm not going to spend all my time chasing down every evolutionist site on the web. I may get to the skulls someday. BTW, there was no link given for that picture. Since I'm not an anthropologist I have no way of typing them. I do know that not all evolutionists agree on which fossils are human ancestors, on the dates given various fossils or on the reconstruction of what are claimed to be fossils in the first place.
Old 12-02-2005, 12:47 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

Right. And if I were to bring up the example of a devoted Sufi mystic who places God above all else, you'd say...

[/ QUOTE ]

What I said before. If you make up your own god it's idolatry which amounts to rebellion against the God of the Bible. This whole thing seems really, really simple. God says "Obey me", meaning the God of the Bible. Man says "I'm going to do anything and everything except obey You. I'm going to make up my own god, I'm going to pretend I'm god, I'm going to reject all notion of god and worship Your creation". All of that is rebellion toward God no matter how much you follow other rules.

[/ QUOTE ]

So, basically what I said: you are now saying that people don't believe in your (the True) God, because they don't want to be under his (the True) authority.

You believe this because the Bible says it is true.

I can't believe you actually believe that people would rather be a Sadhu than a Christian, because they don't want to be under the True God's authority. Yes, I'd much rather give up all earthly pleasure than be able to just believe that Jesus died for my sins, and fulfilled the law, thus allowing me to be pretty durn liberal in my earthly pleasures.

Question for you:

I have a friend who swears that foosball is of the devil. He thinks this because his mom told him that God said it is. He believes his mom whole-heartedly, and thinks that she could not be wrong. I try to reason with him and explain that foosball is just a game, and that many Christians and other religious folks play foosball and it doesn't seem to be bad at all. He just keeps saying that "foosball is of the devil" and that people who play it are under satan's control. His mom can't be wrong, he says, because she's never been wrong before, and he trusts her 100%.

What would you say to my friend? Do you think he is being rational? Why or why not?
Old 12-02-2005, 01:09 PM

[ QUOTE ]

What would you say to my friend? Do you think he is being rational? Why or why not?

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes a difference whether or not he is under his parents' authority. If he is, he shouldn't play the game in obedience to them. That doesn't mean they are higher than God but that the Bible says children should obey their parents. If they tell him to do something that contradicts God's Word then I believe he doesn't have to obey, otherwise he should.

If he is no longer in their custody then, though he should show them great respect, he isn't bound to obey them.

As to foosball itself, I think it's a matter of conscience. The Bible obviously doesn't say one way or the other specifically. When that is the case, then you should apply other general Biblical principles. Some people have a conscience problem with ANY competition, so they shouldn't play. Others believe it's okay when done with the right attitude.

I would try to emphasize however, especially if he is no longer in his parents' custody, that their interpretation is not the final authority for what the Bible means. He should give them respect in making his decisions, but God's Word is above all human law. For him, the conscience difficulty may be both with the game itself and with going contrary to what his parents say. When the Bible doesn't say clearly one should follow conscience. In general, a good rule of thumb is "Whatever is not from faith is sin".
Old 12-02-2005, 02:22 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Does anybody with an IQ above room temperature consider the germ theory of disease to be pro-atheism? Or gravity?

[/ QUOTE ]

I do. I consider all science to be pro-atheism because it will eventually prove there is no God. Of course, it may be thousands of years until humanity is ready to listen to reason. I liked your comments, not coming after you, but yeah science boo religion!

[/ QUOTE ]

Statements like these hurt the cause to get evolution accepted. We are having the problems we are having in PA, Kansas, etc. because people are making religious philosophical issues and science like evolution indistinguishable to others which polarizes people and energizes (or even creates) the opposition.
Definitely pushing people away from science.
Old 12-02-2005, 03:34 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

It makes a difference whether or not he is under his parents' authority. If he is, he shouldn't play the game in obedience to them. That doesn't mean they are higher than God but that the Bible says children should obey their parents. If they tell him to do something that contradicts God's Word then I believe he doesn't have to obey, otherwise he should.

If he is no longer in their custody then, though he should show them great respect, he isn't bound to obey them.

As to foosball itself, I think it's a matter of conscience. The Bible obviously doesn't say one way or the other specifically. When that is the case, then you should apply other general Biblical principles. Some people have a conscience problem with ANY competition, so they shouldn't play. Others believe it's okay when done with the right attitude.

I would try to emphasize however, especially if he is no longer in his parents' custody, that their interpretation is not the final authority for what the Bible means. He should give them respect in making his decisions, but God's Word is above all human law. For him, the conscience difficulty may be both with the game itself and with going contrary to what his parents say. When the Bible doesn't say clearly one should follow conscience. In general, a good rule of thumb is "Whatever is not from faith is sin".

[/ QUOTE ]

So it sounds like you think he's being rational. Is that correct? You think it's rational for my friend to think that "foosball is of the devil" because his mom told him God said it was?
Old 12-02-2005, 07:50 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

No. "Fossil rabbits in the precambrian" would still falsify current evolutionary theory.

[/ QUOTE ]

If there aren't enough fossils to prove human evolution because they're too fragile how can there be fossil evidence to falsify it?

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm sure you could answer this for yourself if you thought about it for a minute, but I'll kill the fun and just go ahead and answer it for you.

There's no such thing as proving a theory, but it would only take one fossil to falsify it.
Old 12-02-2005, 07:53 PM

[ QUOTE ]
It makes a very strong case. It makes predictions that can be falsified.

[/ QUOTE ]
LOL. Name one falsifiable prediction it makes.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:04 PM

[ QUOTE ]

You think it's rational for my friend to think that "foosball is of the devil" because his mom told him God said it was?

[/ QUOTE ]

That's not what I said. I don't think the devil invented foosball. There is a way your friend could be rational and think his playing is due to Satan's temptation, however. Just as a hypothet, if he was totally addicted to the game, missed work so he got fired, missed school so he flunked out, ignored his wife so he got divorced - all because of his obsession with foosball, then it might be that Satan is using his addiction to ruin his life.
Old 12-03-2005, 03:06 PM

[ QUOTE ]

There's no such thing as proving a theory, but it would only take one fossil to falsify it.

[/ QUOTE ]

It would take only one fossil to cause evolutionists to modify the theory. Evolution will never be falsified any more than ID.