Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-03-2005, 10:00 PM

Default Is there much of a difference in terms of skill between $ buy ins?

Firstly, Hey friends! First post here.

Been playing poker for about 5 weeks (played first game live without knowing anything about the game with some friends, sipping some cold ones, finishing last) now and around five days online for money. I've been mainly playing $5 + $0.50 at Poker365 and had got my cash from $12 to $60. Anyhow, tonight I entered a $20+$2 game by accident (was scrolling down looking for a game, double clicked and bought in without noticing, a very stupid mistake). Anyhoo, after reaslising my error (a friend told me when searching my nick) I played on and ended up winning the tournament picking up $100 (taking me to $144 overall). The thing that struck me was that the skill level didn't seem _that_ different from the $5 games (it was noticably better, but not by a great margin). Obviously it would now be stupid to jump in at $22 games as I can't afford it, but perhaps a move upto $11 when/if I get up to $200 would be an option? I also believe I may be getting a bit complacent at the $5 limit taking more risks, stupidly.

Just wondered what your experience had been at this level, please don't shout if this has been covered many times before, I did search and read all the faqs! I will also be signing up to partypoker soon after reading around here, seems this is the best place to make money (although I assume a lot of people on here know that know and maybe this won't be the case for too much longer).

Also, on the "new player" point, anyone give me any solid advice for improving my game? Or indeed making more money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cheers for any help
Old 08-03-2005, 10:02 PM

Default Re: Is there much of a difference in terms of skill between $ buy ins?

Good thread. I havent played enough and dont know enough to answer you correctly ... therefore Id like to know the answer to this as well. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img]
Old 08-03-2005, 10:14 PM

I believe this is covered in the FAQ, which is a sticky thread(3rd one down). To awsner and then let this thread be deleted, the skill diffrence at the lower buyins is very low until i would guess u hit the $55's. I moved from party 11s to 22s in bout 200 tournaments, and my ROI and ITM actually went up, and im making more money. This might be becasue im a luckbox, but who cares!
Long story short - Most online players suck.
Old 08-03-2005, 10:16 PM

[ QUOTE ]

Firstly, Hey friends! First post here.

Been playing poker for about 5 weeks (played first game live without knowing anything about the game with some friends, sipping some cold ones, finishing last) now and around five days online for money. I've been mainly playing $5 + $0.50 at Poker365 and had got my cash from $12 to $60. Anyhow, tonight I entered a $20+$2 game by accident (was scrolling down looking for a game, double clicked and bought in without noticing, a very stupid mistake). Anyhoo, after reaslising my error (a friend told me when searching my nick) I played on and ended up winning the tournament picking up $100 (taking me to $144 overall). The thing that struck me was that the skill level didn't seem _that_ different from the $5 games (it was noticably better, but not by a great margin). Obviously it would now be stupid to jump in at $22 games as I can't afford it, but perhaps a move upto $11 when/if I get up to $200 would be an option? I also believe I may be getting a bit complacent at the $5 limit taking more risks, stupidly.

Just wondered what your experience had been at this level, please don't shout if this has been covered many times before, I did search and read all the faqs! I will also be signing up to partypoker soon after reading around here, seems this is the best place to make money (although I assume a lot of people on here know that know and maybe this won't be the case for too much longer).

Also, on the "new player" point, anyone give me any solid advice for improving my game? Or indeed making more money [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]

cheers for any help

[/ QUOTE ]

Hi there, welcome to the forums.

Here's a thread that you should have in your bookmarks, and possibly read from top to bottom as soon as possible.
http://forumserver.twoplustwo.com/sh...14&fpart=1

The general consensus is that you need at least 30 buy-ins for a level, I'd suggest at least waiting until you have that much (30x11=$330).

If I had to give one piece of advice to you as a brand new player, it would be: don't take the stats people post here too seriously and compare yourself to them; only a very small group of people who post here are actual winning poker players. (I don't own the copyrights on this advice--it was given to me a while ago).

Oh, and pick up some poker books buddy. Start reading up.

Good luck