Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-24-2005, 03:48 PM

Default Johnny Walker Blue Label

I was just given a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label as an early xmas present from a very good friend of mine. Obviously this was an extremely generous gift and I couldn't be more appreciative, but I'm just curious- is there a big enough quality difference between blue label and, say, red or black label, that the huge price jump is justified? I havent opened it yet. I'm a scotch drinker but i've never had this. I'm pretty excited to try. I may actually go out and get a bottle of red label so I can do a comparison test.
Old 12-24-2005, 03:50 PM

Default Re: Johnny Walker Blue Label

follow-up question, is a novice scotch drinker missing out on much by going cheapo and getting the red label? We're talking someone with a developing palette<sp?> here.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:03 PM

there was a thread on this very recently ~ last 2 weeks, do a search and you may want to check it out. some good info in there
Old 12-24-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
follow-up question, is a novice scotch drinker missing out on much by going cheapo and getting the red label? We're talking someone with a developing palette<sp?> here.

[/ QUOTE ]

This was a gift, so my own personal finances are a non-issue. Not sure what your point is.

In any event, if i were in the liquor store myself, i would go for a single malt anyhow. I'm a glenlivet guy. It's not overly expensive and it tastes much better than dewards or johnny walker red, or any of the other cheap blended types.

I'm just curious if the quality upgrade from johnny walker red to johnny walker blue is commensurate with the price upgrade. That is the only info i was looking for.

Your point doesn't apply to me, as this is a gift. I didnt go out and buy it myself. Thanks anyway for the comment though.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:12 PM

[ QUOTE ]
there was a thread on this very recently ~ last 2 weeks, do a search and you may want to check it out. some good info in there

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot. I'll look for it.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:13 PM

I found a thread on some guy asking how to drink his blue label. Surprisingly it turned into an elitist flame war over ice with multiple insults flying and a pathetic brag post about some guy making out with a 15 year old.

ps. trapsetter, my question was directed more at anyone else who could answer your question, and not at you specifically, sorry for any confusion. thanks for your input, I wish I received gifts of blue label from my friends.
Old 12-24-2005, 04:19 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Thanks a lot. I'll look for it.

[/ QUOTE ]

link it, please
Old 12-24-2005, 04:49 PM

Meat, thanks for clarifying and i apologize if i sounded rude there, which i guess i did. i'm a big giants fan and am pissed about the way this game is turning out- i'm in a bad mood as a result.

The way this game is going i may have to open this bottle soon.
Old 12-24-2005, 05:03 PM

It's a blended scotch so dont expect to find complex flavors like u would in a good single malt,it is much smoother than johnny red/black but really nothing great.