Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-19-2005, 02:25 AM

Default Is a push standard here?

Is a push standard here with that kind of flop?

No good reads, but Villian_1 is a little bit fishy and Villian_2 seems to be a mediocre player, bluffs and calls in questionable situations.

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em, $ Hero (6 max, 6 handed) converter

MP Villian_1 ($125.1)
CO Villian_2 ($128.25)
Button ($66.34)
SB ($112.83)
Hero ($100)
UTG ($147.5)

Preflop: Hero is BB with A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img]. SB posts a blind of $0.5.
<font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Villian_1 raises to $6</font>, CO Villian_2 calls $6, <font color="#666666">2 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises to $30</font>, MP Villian_1 calls $24, CO Villian_2 calls $24.

Flop: ($90.50) Q[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], J[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero?
Old 06-19-2005, 02:27 AM

Default Re: Is a push standard here?

I push this flop 100% of the time and can't think of any other way to play it, unless you're inclined to check-push.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:32 AM

Default Re: Is a push standard here?

Yes, you should push here.
Old 06-19-2005, 02:45 AM

Default result m.m

Ok. Just what I thought. I pushed and they folded.

Villian_1 nearly called with a worse hand and a worse flush draw (the king). With that kind of big pot, I have to protect my hand, of course. But if I check, I can prob win a BIG pot against worse players. If a decent bet from Villian_1 is called by Villian_2, they will probably both call a push. But then variance will of course be higher... Any thoughts about that? Winning BIG pots or having a smaller variance? (this is of course a matter of personal taste, but I'm interested to hear what you prefer)
Old 06-19-2005, 02:57 AM

Default Re: result m.m

If you dont want to play for big pots you shouldnt play this game.

Unless youre a bonuswhore &amp; rakeback junkie, attempting to lower your variance by not getting involved is just stupid (and its still pretty dumb anyway)
Old 06-19-2005, 04:00 AM

Default Re: result m.m

hmm. well, it's not like I don't want to play BIG pots. If I'm going for a checkraise here, I can give them a free card to catch a set, two pair, straight or whatever (if they check behind) OR I can win a bigger pot than I did.

What I'm talking about is that if every pot have been around 20 big blinds at the stakes you play, and then suddenly the pot is 5 times that, you have a decent hand but not a monster, and you think you are ahead. How does the fact that the pot already is big affects your play?

In Theory of Poker Sklansky states about big pots that: "Basically your number one priority is to win it. Not to win more money, but to win the pot." That was what I wanted advices/thoughts about. Are you really that risk neutral that you would try to extract more money from opponents with worse hands, even if the pot already is huge?