Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-17-2005, 09:58 AM

Default Re: What is your line?

How would you play AK instead of 99 ?
Old 03-17-2005, 11:47 AM

How about calling the flop and raising the turn on any non A or K. I would fold the turn for one bet if a A or K fell and would be taking a "free" showdown if I raise the turn barring a 9 doesn't fall.

Luke
Old 03-17-2005, 01:13 PM

[ QUOTE ]
How about calling the flop and raising the turn on any non A or K. I would fold the turn for one bet if a A or K fell and would be taking a "free" showdown if I raise the turn barring a 9 doesn't fall.

[/ QUOTE ]

Maybe I am missing something, but there is a pretty high probability that villain has an A or K in this situation, so I think raising the turn when an A or K hits would generally just be spewing chips. The only hand he might lay down is QQ or JJ, but some people won't even lay that down at that point, and 99 can't beat that either. I think this is one of those unfortunate situations where you just have to accept that you probably won't win this pot unless a 9 comes, or villain is on two overcards and folds to a flop raise (or calls the flop raise and folds the turn unimproved). Some pots are just not win-able, and I think that if villain 3 bets the flop this is one of those pots. It doesn't make sense to spew chips on the turn when you can easily discover where you are at on the flop.
Old 03-17-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
raising the turn on any non A or K

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I am missing something, but there is a pretty high probability that villain has an A or K in this situation, so I think raising the turn when an A or K hits would generally just be spewing chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you wrote this in response to my post since you quoted it. Were you agreeing with me or did you misunderstand?

I'm basically saying to wait until the turn and see what falls. If it's NOT an ace or king, then raise, fold to a 3-bet and check behind on the river if you are not 3-bet.

I'm certainly not suggesting that you raise the turn if an ace or even a king falls.

Luke
Old 03-17-2005, 09:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
raising the turn on any non A or K

[/ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Maybe I am missing something, but there is a pretty high probability that villain has an A or K in this situation, so I think raising the turn when an A or K hits would generally just be spewing chips.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm assuming you wrote this in response to my post since you quoted it. Were you agreeing with me or did you misunderstand?

I'm basically saying to wait until the turn and see what falls. If it's NOT an ace or king, then raise, fold to a 3-bet and check behind on the river if you are not 3-bet.

I'm certainly not suggesting that you raise the turn if an ace or even a king falls.

Luke

[/ QUOTE ]

My bad, I did misread your post. I thought you said raise on an ace or king. Missed the non. Still think the best line is to raise the flop though, because if you are ahead on the flop, then you are still most likely against two overcards, and by not raising you are giving him a chance to hit.