Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

View Poll Results: HU, aggressive player raises from the SB. You have 76o.
Call around 67% of the time. Protects my image, but it's a marginal play. 9 14.29%
Fold. I'll break him later, when I'm not holding junk. 11 17.46%
Almost always call. I have odds, I want to project a tough image, and I'm not a wuss. 37 58.73%
Usually fold. Call once in awhile, just enough to protect my image, but no more as it is -EV overall. 6 9.52%
Voters: 63. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-17-2005, 05:33 AM

Default Re: Bottled Water

[ QUOTE ]
bottled = overrated

[/ QUOTE ]

bottled = overpriced

but i buy it anyway. i grew up in an area where the water was iron rich and tasted horrible, even through multiple filters so i grew up drinking bottled water and continue to to this day.
Old 02-17-2005, 06:56 AM

Few people know the true source of two popular brands of bottled water: Dasani and Aquafina, bottled by Coke and Pepsi respectively.

What happens is Coke and Pepsi use a lot of water to make their soda products. Millions of gallons. They were taking the rejected waste water and dumping it. Someone got the bright idea to not get rid of it -- to bottle it and sell it at a 300% markup. So what they do is take the used water (which comes from a municipal tap), process and filter it, and add trace minerals, and call it "purified." That, of course, is crap. Dasani and Aquafina are the bottom of the barrel, literally. And Dasani was also found to have illegally high contents of cancer-causing bromide in it. Great.

To make sure you're not drinking bottled tap water, it has to say "spring" or "natural spring" water on it. Arrowhead is pretty good, Volvic is pretty good, etc.

But basically, bottled water is for sissies. Get over yourselves. I can find a few million people in the world who would like nothing more than an endless supply of tap water, and you prima donnas need your Evian or else.

I use a Brita filter and leave it at that. But tap water isn't going to kill me.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:09 AM

They started selling Dansai in the UK but people found out quite quickly what it was (in essence tap water) and the cancer issue and it was withdrawn from sale very quickly probably at a huge cost as they had vending machines etc with it in as well.

It shocks me its still on sale in the US.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
What happens is Coke and Pepsi use a lot of water to make their soda products. Millions of gallons. They were taking the rejected waste water and dumping it. Someone got the bright idea to not get rid of it -- to bottle it and sell it at a 300% markup. So what they do is take the used water (which comes from a municipal tap), process and filter it, and add trace minerals, and call it "purified." That, of course, is crap. Dasani and Aquafina are the bottom of the barrel, literally. And Dasani was also found to have illegally high contents of cancer-causing bromide in it. Great.

[/ QUOTE ]

I always thought that Dasani tasted gross (Fiji water too for some reason...) and refused to drink it. I also don't like that Dasani has sodium in their water [img]/images/graemlins/confused.gif[/img], it seems to make me more thirsty.

[ QUOTE ]
But basically, bottled water is for sissies. Get over yourselves. I can find a few million people in the world who would like nothing more than an endless supply of tap water, and you prima donnas need your Evian or else.

[/ QUOTE ]

Tap water in San Diego can seriously make you sick. Our irrigation (i have no idea what it is actually called, but our city's waterworks system) is incredibly poor, and when it rains everything becomes backed up with sewage. You are not allowed to go swimming at a lot of beaches and it is not recomended to drink the water. I love tap water from other areas (especially in denver).

The environment sure is in great condition.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:18 AM

i had an econ prof last year who was fresh out of grad school. she said she did some huge research project on bottled water. apparently, she drank certain brands of water, but claimed she would rather drink out of a toilet bowl for others. cant remember which is which though [img]/images/graemlins/tongue.gif[/img]
Old 02-17-2005, 07:32 AM

Either bottled or Brita'd. Tap water is absolutely disgusting in SoCal. But now I've gotten in the habit of only drinking filtered or bottled, so I don't drink tap wherever I go now.

GoT
Old 02-17-2005, 07:37 AM

Tap water in Seattle is hella good, I'm fine drinking it without a filter. I am lazy. Bottled water makes drinking water easier. I happily pay $3 for 24 bottles of water, just so that I don't have to get out a glass and wait for the tap to get cold. If someone offered to take $3 to fill up 24 bottles from my tap and place them in my fridge, I would accept. It's completely a matter of convenience for me.

Freakin
Old 02-17-2005, 07:43 AM

Tap water in Seattle is hella good, I'm fine drinking it without a filter. I am lazy. Bottled water makes drinking water easier. I happily pay $3 for 24 bottles of water, just so that I don't have to get out a glass and wait for the tap to get cold. If someone offered to take $3 to fill up 24 bottles from my tap and place them in my fridge, I would accept. It's completely a matter of convenience for me.

Seattle tap is pretty decent. Get a glass pitcher, fill with tap, add a slice of lime, place in fridge.

GoT
Old 02-17-2005, 07:45 AM

I drink bottled mainly because it's easier than dealing with a cup/glass.

edit: Just noticed Freakin said the same thing. Right on.
Old 02-17-2005, 07:48 AM

That involves cutting limes, filling the pitcher, AND you still have to pour water into a glass every time you want some.