Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 04:12 PM

Default Is this unethical

live tourney. 38 players left. 36 get paid.

A is the big stack at the table with around 80K. Blind are 400/800 ante 50. There is one very short stack at the table around 1100, let's call him player B.

A has been raising about 50% of hands and usually taking down blinds.

A is in the big blind. B raises all-in for 1100. folded to A in the big blind. A folds pocket Queens face-up.

I believe this is good tourney strategy on A's part, keeping a short stack around to enhance his chip lead, but about 4 players at the table, one of whom is an experience tourney player was outraged.

Thoughts?
Old 07-11-2005, 04:17 PM

Default Re: Is this unethical

I've seen people use this and i think it's a good strategy.

I can see it being unethical in certain situations of collusion. Perhaps the small stack is the big stack's buddy. But that's unrelated to the question.. i say Ethical.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:19 PM

No, it is no more unethical than running the clock out in football, or any other strategic move in sports where you use the rules to your advantage.

It is just dumb to fold face up. Why liven a passive table? I would fold, and act ignorant to pot odds when they yelled at me for folding "I had 72o, I couldnt call with that"
Old 07-11-2005, 04:20 PM

If he announced "FOLD" then flipped his cards up, it is the same as mucking and showing on the river, or any other street. It also shows that he respects his raises.

What was the other player so upset about? Because he folded a case hand? Too bad. I can sit and fold pocket aces all day because I am afraid of pocket trips or whatever. There is nothing wrong with that.

Esp. if I plan on beefing up my stack through the shortstacks.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:23 PM

I'd do it too. I'd rather be facing a table full of scared players who are feeding me 7-8BB every orbit, than a table of guys in the money and looking at my stack as the shortest route to a doubleup.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:24 PM

Showing his cards was idiotic, but not unethical.

If you're asking simply about the fold, refer to Tournament Poker for Advanced Players. Sklansky wrote, and I paraphrase, that when you are on the bubble, people will be playing especially tight, and the big stack can use that to his advantage to steal blinds on almost every hand.

Sound strategy. Awful execution.
Old 07-11-2005, 05:14 PM

Sounds like the guy who folded face-up was very proud that he was using good tournament strategy and he wanted to make sure everyone knew how smart he was. Trouble is, most people don't understand that concept and will think he's an idiot. Of course, they're right, he is an idiot, but not for that reason. He's an idiot for showing.
Old 07-11-2005, 08:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Trouble is, most people don't understand that concept and will think he's an idiot. Of course, they're right, he is an idiot, but not for that reason. He's an idiot for showing.

[/ QUOTE ]

People thinking he's an idiot would be a good thing. The real problem is that he has now announced to the table his intention to keep player B in for as long as possible. One or two players who suspected he was getting pretty good cards, or knew he was stealing some blinds but didn't know to what extent, are now clued in.

If I'm second or third shortest stack at the table (especially if I'm to his left) I'm going over the top of him almost every time. He has shown that he'll fold to keep the bubble from bursting, so I'd use him to steal blinds (plus his raise) for me.
Old 07-12-2005, 06:43 AM

Totally stupid of him to show his cards after folding. He should have taken his time to think, visibly counted the pot size etc before "reluctantly" folding. Not only does that keep the bubble intact but your apparent lack of willingness to gamble gains you extra respect for your raises while you're blind-stealing from the rest of the table.