Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Internet Gambling > Internet Gambling
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-11-2005, 03:57 AM

Default Re: Was I cheated on PokerStars?

Just saying he could be making a move, not saying it was a very smart move [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]. He could be afraid of 2nd largest stack who he wants to keep on the defensive. He could be an idiot.
Old 07-11-2005, 04:42 AM

This is typically a good move in the shallower-stack games like Party. Here, it's pretty pointless -- medium stack has 19 bb, so it's not like he's going to get bubble-scared and let big stack take all his blinds.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:00 AM

It's a perfectly valid tactic - whether or not it was an appropriate one to use here is hard to tell without more information (in particular, how the 2nd place stack is playing).

I've folded AA to a push from a short-stack before on the bubble in a tournament. Taking his small stack was worth far less to me than another round or two of taking blinds off the rest on the table. I was the big stack by a mile on the table (not the biggest stack in tournament though) and the rest of table were just trying to fold their way into the money - in that situation bursting the bubble is the last thing I wanted to do.

If the big stack in this game was convinced the 2nd stack was just trying to fold his way to 2nd then keeping the short stack alive could well have made sense. Looking at the stack sizes I'm not at all convinced it was a good choice by him even then - but there's no reason to assume it was cheating.
Old 07-11-2005, 06:14 AM

There's no way this is a +EV move. The advantage of having the smaller stack around would be for exactly this sort of situation - they tend to overplay out of desparation and it's easier for a big stack to win money from a small stack than a medium one. With that said you're not really going to get a better situation than calling 40 chips all in to win 1200.

On the other hand, this isn't a clear enough case of collusion to take action against any of the players, so I'm afraid you're out of luck there. I'd alert Stars for sure though anyway.

KC
kingcobrapoker.com
Old 07-11-2005, 07:17 AM

Are you guys serious? Look at the odds...he should call with any 2 every time.

This is not a strategic move at all, and I have not the slightest idea how you can call it that.

Chances are, he is just an idiot.

"I think I will pass up these chips and give this small stack a chance to double up a few times..."

No.
Old 07-11-2005, 07:39 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I should learn to fold when I'm getting 16-1 odds with 2 cards to come and my opponent can't bet any more?

[/ QUOTE ]

You're playing a 5 dollar sit n go. Most of the people don't know a thing about pot odds etc. Obviously he should call with any two in this spot but all probably he looked at was the fact that he didnt have a hand and it was bet to him so he folded.

Good luck,
Matt
Old 07-11-2005, 07:41 AM

I use it but not in this spot, having 2 very short stacks leaves 2nd place guy in no mans land, if he ever tries to come into a pot, he's gonna need to win to money, because I'm all in, and he's got to weigh up the advantage of doubling up against his already virtually guaranteed second place finish. You really can make a lot of chips, I just don't see folding for 40 getting 16-1 as right, it raises questions that cannot easily be answered.

Regards Mack
Old 07-11-2005, 12:58 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He could be afraid of 2nd largest stack who he wants to keep on the defensive.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think it's the opposite. The 2nd largest stack is afraid of the big stack and doesn't want to bust in 4th when he can post and fold his way into the money.
Old 07-11-2005, 01:51 PM

I dont think id play it -exactly- that way, but with the 2nd stack to my left im certainly trying to preserve the bubble.

Or he may be an idiot who made a 'right' move by accident.

Phill
Old 07-11-2005, 02:43 PM

Default Translation: Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Grow up.