Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Other Topics > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 06:16 PM

Default Re: Media Coverage of Transit Strike

Why do your post here?
Old 12-21-2005, 06:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why can't we have private subway lines. Half Tokyo subway lines are private. And I think the JR lines are private too now. They have the best train system in the world, why can't we follow suit.

[/ QUOTE ]

I am not sure what you are refering to with "JR lines"?

Anyway, we cannot add new private subway lines and even if the MTA was to sell certain lines, the new private company would have a monopoly on the lines sold -- so the problems complained of would not be solved. I don't know if there is anyway to bring competition to predominantly-commuter mass transit system.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:02 PM

So you are generally a free-market guy unless the issue hits home? Would you become anti-free trade all of a sudden if a family member lost a job to foreign competition?
Old 12-21-2005, 05:05 PM

This is a pretty hollow appeal given the tone of most of your posts, in which your tone is one of pragmatism with a splash of arrogance. Typical of economic conservatives: free market is the best until it negatively affects me or someone I care about.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
This is a pretty hollow appeal given the tone of most of your posts, in which your tone is one of pragmatism with a splash of arrogance. Typical of economic conservatives: free market is the best until it negatively affects me or someone I care about.

[/ QUOTE ]

Was this response meant for me? I was questioning lehigh's devotion to the free-market because he switched sides on unions just because he has family members in them.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:18 PM

Switched sides on unions? What side? Unions and labor in general are part of the free market. The negotiation of wages is a vital part of capitalism.

When the government comes in and FORCES one side to capitulate that is interference in the free market. The problem here isn't the free market, it is governmental interference. The union and management, in any situation, should be allowed to negotiate without interference.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:07 PM

Huh????
Old 12-21-2005, 07:02 PM

No one sees those people, lehigh. The people visible to the public are bus drivers and token booth attendants. Therefore the general attitude among the anti-union crowd is, "I wish I could get paid to sit on my ass and retire at 55." The transit workers don't get the kind of respect that other public employees do.

I am neither for or against the union. As I've found in major league sports, it appears both sides are usually in the wrong when it comes to collective bargaining - that's why they agree to a compromise.

I was hoping this thread wouldn't go the way of privatization - I see that as very, very unlikely.