Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 06-10-2005, 04:49 AM

Default Is the way I play this straight costing me money?

Interpoker 25$ NL

Full table, has been weak-tight as hell, 6-handed pots being checked down and worse. I have tight image, I've only been at the table 3 orbits or so. Haven't called a single raise, only seen a few flops, only bet one of them and took it down, didn't call anything beyond the flop. I have 26$ to start the hand.

I'm on the button with KJo. Two limpers, I limp, blinds complete and check.

flop (1.25$): T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img]
4 checks, I bet 1$, two folds, two calls, both weak-tight, allthough i've seen one of them show a tiny bit of agression a few hands ago.

Turn (4.25$): T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
check, check, I bet 2$, one fold, one call

River (8.25$): T [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] Q [img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img] 7 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] 9 [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img]
check, I bet 2$, call

It's not spectacular, but I think a lot of profit/losses are made in these kind of hands.
Comments from preflop to river appreciated.
Old 06-10-2005, 04:58 AM

Default Re: Is the way I play this straight costing me money?

I'd bet pot(ish) on turn. Wouldn't you feel heat from two pair? Backdoor flush probably out with these guys right? I'd bet more on river too unless you have hint guy might be tricky.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:13 AM

Please, I have a great hand, so I want to get paid as little as possible for it.

If you wanna win a big pot with your great hand - then do try to bet it. If nobody has anything, then nobody has anything - but bet it strongly. Pot the flop, pot/push the turn.
Old 06-10-2005, 05:46 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Pot the flop, pot/push the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop was 1$ into a 1.25$ pot.

I wanted top pair to pay me off and smaller straight to raise me on the turn.

On the river, with the straight and flush draw on the board, I didn't think a bigger bet would get called by a hand that I beat.

I do have doubts about this, plz point out mistakes in this kind of thinking.

What type of hands do you think would check/call the flop, check the turn, and then call a push/PSB?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:50 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
Pot the flop, pot/push the turn

[/ QUOTE ]

Flop was 1$ into a 1.25$ pot.

I wanted top pair to pay me off and smaller straight to raise me on the turn.

On the river, with the straight and flush draw on the board, I didn't think a bigger bet would get called by a hand that I beat.

I do have doubts about this, plz point out mistakes in this kind of thinking.

What type of hands do you think would check/call the flop, check the turn, and then call a push/PSB?

[/ QUOTE ]

Some sort of JQ/JT/J9 sort of hand I guess he has here more often than not. The river is a bad card - as so often happens with straights. I like to bet real hard with straights (as so often there is a two-pair/pair+draw hand out there to play against). I want as much money as I can get into the pot before the scary card hits to slow me down.

Often QJ or JT will call a pot bet on the turn, and then when they hit the ignorant end of the str8 will pay you their stack on the river (kind of them huh !). Two pair might stick around, and you certainly want to charge sets and flush draws.

Flop was not a bad bet - but hit the turn really hard.
Old 06-10-2005, 08:54 AM

Am I the only one who noticed the possible FH on the river?
Old 06-10-2005, 08:56 AM

who checks a fh there ?
Old 06-10-2005, 09:20 AM

From the way these guys were playing, I was convinced they would bet out if either one of them hit a solid hand. That is why I didn't fear a checkraise and just tried to sell my hand for what I thought they would pay for it. Should have included that read in the original post, allthough I don't know how reliable this is after 3 orbits.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:28 AM

if the turn had not brought a [img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] draw, i'd say half pot was fine, but as is, i'd bet $3. not a huge difference.

on the river i'd half-pot it. perfect, otherwise.
Old 06-10-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Results

Thanks for the replies.

He mucked, MHIG.

Overall, I was happy with the way I played this one. I might have made a few extra bucks, but then again, he might have folded if I tried to get more money in the pot. I don't agree with the "bet the turn hard" advice though, I really didn't feel the need to protect my hand on this one.

Anyway, I posted two hands today, and in both, the conclusion was that I didn't bet enough. I think I'm going to start using PSB's more often. I used to do this, but I ran bad for a while, partially due to overplaying and general over-LAGging my play. This caused me to slow down a bit, but now the scale might have tilted a little too far to the other side.

I'll be looking into it.