Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-02-2005, 07:39 AM

Default It\'s a funny old life...

I was watching the rememberance services on the TV last night for the 7/7 victims, which of course was sad and moving.

And outside I could hear loads of fireworks and celeberations going on for Diwali (Hindu? festial of light), which made me smile.

(It's a great, happy festival in the city where I live)

It made me think about how life throws good and bad at people, constantly, and you sometimes just gotta laugh or weep.

Any of life's inconsistencies, ironies, or incongruities hit you lately?

Do share...
Old 11-02-2005, 07:41 AM

Default Re: It\'s a funny old life...

Why do they call it ovaltine? The jar is round, the glass is round. They should call it Roundtine.
Old 11-02-2005, 07:58 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It made me think about how life throws good and bad at people, constantly, and you sometimes just gotta laugh or weep.

[/ QUOTE ]

I prefer to remain pleasantly numb.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:48 AM

[ QUOTE ]
I
And outside I could hear loads of fireworks and celeberations going on for Diwali (Hindu? festial of light), which made me smile.

[/ QUOTE ]

Had it been the other way round the fireworks would have been cancelled, notice that some place in London is having Winter Lights instead of christmas lights, the irony of all that is the muslims I know couldnt give a toss about christian religious symbols or festivals and certainly wont be offended, the huy I work with his family exchange gifts on Christmas day as well.
Old 11-02-2005, 08:57 AM

Well... this is one of life's incongruities.

Those guys that make decisions about what offends what group probably don't even know any people belonging to the groups in question, and are bleeding-heart, liberal, namby-toity hoity-washy wishy-toity types, projecting their own distorted reality on the rest of us.

They crack me up personally, especially when it's stuff like 'you can't hang a union jack from a window' when England are playing an international...
Old 11-02-2005, 08:58 AM

Yeah, the small and big things sometimes mix up. I remember sitting writing an email which was very important when the Tamil cleaner enters my office. It was just a week or so after the tsunami, so I ask him if his family etc. is ok. He just answers "a lot of the people I know are dead" and continues cleaning. I tried to comfort him, but all I could see in his eyes was resignation but also the need to go about with daily life (he would easily have gotten paid leave). My email did not seem important anymore, but it was also a reminder that life goes on no matter what happens (except death [img]/images/graemlins/smile.gif[/img]).
Old 11-02-2005, 12:35 PM

[ QUOTE ]
Why do they call it ovaltine? The jar is round, the glass is round. They should call it Roundtine.

[/ QUOTE ]

gold Jerry, gold