Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-2005, 08:58 AM

Default 50% Match the $1 million Raised

This foundation will match 50% of the first million raised.

You can go to its website...
McCormick Tribune Foundation Hurricane Katrina Relief Campaign

or call...
1-800-508-2848

Soh
Old 09-04-2005, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Hurricane Katrina: Where to Donate

Donate to Barry Manilow. Your donation is matched by Barry and his foundation so for each $1 you donate, $3 go to charity.
Old 09-06-2005, 06:14 AM

Here's the reason people are advising against donating to the Red Cross.
Old 09-06-2005, 08:30 AM

Default Re: Please don\'t send money to the red cross

Do you know that the director of the Red Cross makes $500,000 dollars a year? On the Don Imus show he said the Red Cross was a bloated organization set up just to pay the directors of the Red Cross big salaries. The Red Cross is a corrupt, money grubbing organization. Please donate to more worthy charities.
Old 09-06-2005, 09:54 AM

[ QUOTE ]
Do you know that the director of the Red Cross makes $500,000 dollars a year? On the Don Imus show he said the Red Cross was a bloated organization set up just to pay the directors of the Red Cross big salaries. The Red Cross is a corrupt, money grubbing organization. Please donate to more worthy charities.

[/ QUOTE ]

So is Walmart, people still shop there. The question is are these people the best available to manage the company, if the answer is yes, then people need to stop complaining that they get paid for their work. If the boards of Dow and FTSE companies got paid less then so would the boards of charities, it's called open market value.

Mack
Old 09-06-2005, 11:51 AM

The guy who directs the Red Cross would probably make much more in the private market. I think $500,000 is a perfectly fine salary to pay a top management exec, like others have said.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:56 AM

I'm surprised Big Steve didn't post this last night. He must have overlooked this thread...

From Big Steve's thread last night...
---------------------------------------------------------

Big Steve's Red Cross Needs Your Help

Ok I know we have many different levels of people here on 2+2.

If you can donate $10........DO IT.
If you can donate $10,000....DO IT.

Call 1-800-HELP-NOW to make a donation.

If you want it to go to my Chapter specifically, make sure you tell them your donation is for the Key Chapter of the American Red Cross in Meridian, Mississippi. (You do not have to donate to my chapter as we also receive funding from National.)

If you do donate(or have already) to my chapter or Nationally post here to let me know, my Director wants to thank you all in advance(I told her I was going to ask the poker community online for help).

Thanks again.

Sincerely,

Big Steve
Old 09-06-2005, 10:43 PM

Consider Catholic Charities USA:

http://www.catholiccharitiesusa.org/

Or donate directly to a Franciscan charity. All of that money will go to the right places.
Old 09-06-2005, 11:46 PM

United Animal Nations is providing emergency rescue services for the many animals affected by the Katrina disaster. They do great work - please consider donating.
Old 09-08-2005, 09:52 PM

Consider the Baton Rouge Area Foundation (braf.org). This is a long-established local charity with low overhead. The money it collects will go directly to displaced persons or to the rebuilding of New Orleans.

I myself evacuated to Baton Rouge and arrived in Las Vegas late Tuesday night. Vegas will now be my permanent home. I attempted today to get help from FEMA and the Red Cross--I was #232, and about 3-4 people were being helped an hour. Amiable Red Cross volunteers wandering aimlessly about offering exactly nothing but sympathy. Today was the first day FEMA even showed up. All of the time I spent in Baton Rouge with many other evacuees in a Motel 6, I saw nothing from the Red Cross or FEMA. The local churches did step up to set up foodlines in the parking lots of the various motels. This was a big help to the families who really cannot afford to stay indefinitely in motels.

I wouldn't give a penny to the Red Cross. After 9/11 I donated to Rusty Staub's foundation which gives a subsidy annually to the family of every NY cop and firefighter killed in the line of duty. The foundation has no paid staff, and the only expenses are office supplies. Consider some of the smaller charities operating directly in the affected areas.

Or you could donate to me (just kidding....)

LOL