Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > Multi-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-2005, 04:34 PM

Default Starting Stacks: Deep vs. Shallow (differences in strategy?)

Ok I'm not quite sure how to ask this question, but here goes.

Given starting stacks of 1000 chips where the BB is 10% of the starting stack by the 4th round, vs. starting stacks of 5000 where the BB isn't 10% of the starting stack until the 7th round or later, what differences in tournament strategy should I note in order to take advantage of each of these structures?

I tend to play better postflop, so having deeper stacks plays into that. Should I be ready to gamble with marginal hands with the shallow starting stack so I can double up early on? How should I generally approach such a tournament?
Old 09-22-2005, 04:51 PM

Default Re: Starting Stacks: Deep vs. Shallow (differences in strategy?)

I finished 35th last week in the 'Stars deep stacks tournament, and all I did was get dealt aces and kings a dozen or more times. Try that strategy. [img]/images/graemlins/grin.gif[/img] Actually, I just played my normal game and got a bit lucky, while trying to take notice of what everybody at my table was doing during every hand. This strategy helped quite a bit, considering I played at the same starting table for 4-5 hours. Take notice of betting patterns, how aggressive people are, and what kind of hands others need to raise and call raises, and play accordingly. Deep stack tournaments are more about knowing your opponents than playing ABC poker.