Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-20-2005, 11:31 AM

Default Which line do you take?

Party NL 50 full ring

I'm in BB with 88. Folds around to CO who makes it $2.25 (blind steal?) Fold. Fold. I call.

Flop comes JJ4. I check (no idea why. I think I was going for a C/R if he bet small enough.)

He bets $4 into the ~$4.50 pot. I think for a while (stacks each were about $55 to start hand), and fold.

My other option was to call the $4, then check-raise all in any turn card lower than a "7". Is that a better option? I didn't put him on an overpair. Just overcards. Don't put him on a jack...and even if he did have an overpair, I may push him off of it if he thinks I have a J.

Which would have been better, assuming you called his PF raise (and checked the flop)? I know I should have led out on the flop but for this example assume you checked to him.

Was I right to fold or would the second option have been better? What should I have done if a 9 or higher fell on the turn? Still push?

Thanks in advance!
Old 12-20-2005, 11:34 AM

Default Re: Which line do you take?

Stacks sizes are vital.
Old 12-20-2005, 11:36 AM

Stack sizes? Any reads on villain? Has he stolen blinds before? Usually 88 is a fit or fold situation.

If you think he was on a steal then lead the flop. That will send him the message that stealing your blind is going to cost him some chips if he is doing it with garbage. Taking down the pot quickly is good because you are OOP and there are many scare cards in the deck.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:01 PM

In the OP I stated that we were each about $55 to begin hand. Sorry it wasn't near the top it was lost in the middle somewhere.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:03 PM

Ah, didn't notice it there.
Old 12-20-2005, 12:10 PM

If you want to do anything other than folding, c/r the flop looks good, as a lot of people will do this with a Jack. I certainly wouldn't do this every time but once in a while you can get away with it. If he raises/calls, give up.