Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-23-2005, 07:40 PM

Default ($10+1) mid-Pair + draw played really passively

4th game of tourney. In a preceeding hand UTG raised and re-re-raised all-In on the flop with second pair no kicker and won with a backdoor flush.

When should I be betting?

Party Poker No-Limit Hold'em Tourney, Big Blind is t15 (9 handed) FTR converter on zerodivide.cx

MP3 (t660)
Button (t740)
Hero (t890)
UTG (t1875)

Preflop: Hero is BB with J[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
UTG calls t15, <font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 raises to t40</font>, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Button calls t40, <font color="#666666">1 fold</font>, Hero calls t25, UTG calls t25.

Flop: (t170) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], A[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, <font color="#CC3333">UTG bets t30</font>, MP3 calls t30, Button calls t30, Hero calls t30.

Turn: (t290) 9[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(4 players)</font>
Hero checks, UTG checks, <font color="#CC3333">MP3 bets t65</font>, Button calls t65, Hero calls t65, UTG folds.

River: (t485) J[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(3 players)</font>
Hero checks, MP3 checks, <font color="#CC3333">Button bets t75</font>, Hero calls t75, MP3 folds.

Final Pot: t635

Qwerty
Old 11-23-2005, 07:56 PM

Default Re: ($10+1) mid-Pair + draw played really passively

my first comment on a hand, so please be gentle.

I'd fold pre-flop... even if you do hit your top or mid pair, there's a good chance you're dominated. After that, I don't see why you'd play a second pair when there are 3 clubs on the flop - there's a good chance you're drawing dead, even if you do hit a second pair or trips. There are better opportunities, in my view, to bet your money.
Old 11-23-2005, 08:05 PM

Pre-flop:
In the three preceeding games, UTG always called pre-flop, and there where no raises pre-flop. I am aiming for his stack... In a normal situation, I am often folding here.

Top or mid pair:
Mid pair I fold. Top pair I play prudently -- but I call an UTG All-In if the other players fold.

Post flop, I am drawing to second nut flush or 2 pair. Given the mini-bets, I cant fold.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:27 PM

Some might say it's too passive, but I'm fine with how you played it. I don't see how you can raise on any street, given that a re-raise would be horrible news. The only thing I would have said is to fold pre-flop, but given your read, a call is understandable.
Old 11-23-2005, 09:36 PM

i dont have any real complaints here. forget about what he had or didnt have, you dont have a flush and if at any point you get raised or reraised you are probably beaten. the key here i think is that thier small bets usually mean one of two thing: a. they have very little. in this case if you play strongly they will likely fold. b. they have a better hand than you and a very strong hand. in which case take the odds and try to show down a winner.

Pat
Old 11-23-2005, 10:19 PM

I don't see how you can fold on any street to such small bets and you can't really raise either because a re-raise shuts you out of the pot
Old 11-24-2005, 04:55 AM

Default Results

Thank you all for your comments.

What do you think of a value bet on the river?

Results:

I win the pot when MP shows 8d As