Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Mid- and High-Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 11-10-2005, 09:49 AM

Default Re: results

[ QUOTE ]
How about just saying "oh, I have a pair of aces" and flip up the hand right away, and then saying "you were called, can I please see your hand?"

Alot less rude than saying nothing and then rolling your hand. And I think it should be perfectly understandable that you want to see his hand when you are entitled to, playing for this much money.

[/ QUOTE ]

I totally agree. The whole saying nothing and making the roll it over gesture is a di.ck move to me. Just ask politely for him to turn his cards over because you would like to see them is sufficient. To the other players on the table it makes you look like an ass.
He says he has K high so you caught him with his pants down, no need to ridicule him more since you won the pot.
Old 11-10-2005, 10:58 AM

this guy must not think too highly of you if he is cold calling 3 with KT suited. must think you are weak tight. either that or he just sucks
Old 11-10-2005, 11:02 AM

[ QUOTE ]
this guy must not think too highly of you if he is cold calling 3 with KT suited. must think you are weak tight. either that or he just sucks

[/ QUOTE ]

I assure you he just sucks.
Old 11-10-2005, 11:13 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I assure you he just sucks.

[/ QUOTE ]

That, and he might still irrationally be miffed about:

[ QUOTE ]

I raised A3o on the button, he 3 bet out of the sb, I 4 bet, he 5 bet, i called, flopped a 3 and called the flop and turn and river went check check and I beat his AJo.

[/ QUOTE ]

Barron Vangor Toth
BarronVangorToth.com
Old 11-10-2005, 12:34 PM

"I can't imagine being "polite" or whatever you want to call it in a 150-300 game."

Why would being "polite" be any different in a 150-300 game than in a $1-$2 game, or a $2,000-$4,000 game?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:47 PM

I do not see what you did as rude in ANY way! YOU called HIS bet. Now he can either show you his hand or muck his cards. Why should you allow yourself to get slow-rolled?
Old 11-10-2005, 12:51 PM

You guys are missing the point! It is not kick's responsibility to show his hand. HE CALLED A BET! Calling means, "Here's $300. Show me what you got". If the other guy was unwilling to show his hand after he bet, then HE'S the one being RUDE to expect the bike to show first! He should've just mucked his hand if he was that embarrassed by it.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:02 PM

[ QUOTE ]
He said king-high, I sat there, unresponsive. He said king-high again and I did the "roll it over" motion and he disgustingly turned over King ten of hearts, I showed my hand and took the pot.

[/ QUOTE ]

There's nothing wrong with what you did. I think saying "one pair" might have been better, but what you did is OK.

[ QUOTE ]
With really bad players I'm a lot less abrasive...I don't want to make them feel dumb/bad and leave the game, but with another good player...I think making him show is hand is hands down the best/right play.

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree...or with someone who is a pain but not that bad.
Old 11-10-2005, 01:42 PM

[ QUOTE ]
"I can't imagine being "polite" or whatever you want to call it in a 150-300 game."

Why would being "polite" be any different in a 150-300 game than in a $1-$2 game, or a $2,000-$4,000 game?

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree and disagree. I handle this the same way at every level because even at low-limits I'm there for the competition and the sport of it. But when a lot of money is on the line there is more of a reason to be tough and not give information away.
Old 11-10-2005, 02:09 PM

If I'm playing with regular opponents, I have a simple rule about this:

If they are typical guys, then I'll turn my hand over. If they are known to pull angles and try to do things, I tell them to "show or throw."

Against unknowns, I would never say anything, and just sit there. This is especially true in a high limit game. He's trying to get more information, in all likeliehood. Diablo may think you're a bastard, but who cares? Poker isn't about making friends, it's about making money. Besides, as long as you're a guy who is straight-up at the table, people will like you well enough.