Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > PL/NL Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Pot-, No-Limit Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 03-30-2005, 07:08 AM

Default QQ overpair against river bet

OK guys, here's a hand that you may or may not find interesting. I'm playing .5/1 NL on Stars.

1 limper and I ($230) raise to 5 with red QQ. Only the SB ($130) calls.

Flop is 742 with a club flushdraw. SB checks I bet $10 about the pot and SB calls.

Turn is a 10 again he checks I bet pot again ($30) and he calls.

River is an 8. The final board is (7 4 2) 8 T and the flushdraw never came. SB has about $85 left and there's about $90 in the pot.

Here's three scenarios, one of which actually happened:

1) SB pushes all in.

2) SB bets out $25.

3) SB checks.

What's your move?

Also, I have no note on this guy, which probably means he's been playing fairly tight, or hasn't been playing long and I just haven't noticed (I'm multitabling). As far as my image goes, I haven't been caught bluffing as far as I can remember, and I've been playing fairly tight.

Bob
Old 03-30-2005, 07:33 AM

Default Re: QQ overpair against river bet

1. (SB moves all-in) tough decision, but i'd probably reluctantly call. this could easily be a busted draw bluffing, sensing you have two unimproved overcards. i hate unimproved overpairs in NL, but i don't think you can fold to this fairly safe board. if the SB is loose (and/or a fish), this move reeks of bluff. if the SB is tight and wouldn't bluff, the straight wouldn't really be a thread (would be play 96 or 65?), but a slowplayed set would be a definite possibility. since you had no read, i would call, but if you read him as a by-the-book readable tight player, this might be a fold since this looks like a slowplayed set. otherwise, it's a call.

2. (sb bets $25) call. no raise. you don't want to risk paying off a straight or a slowplayed set by raising and then being forced to call an all-in. if it's a bluff, he'll fold to a raise anyway. just call.

3. (sb checks) check behind him. a busted draw will fold, and the pot's big enough that you could face an all-in raise if you bet, and you don't want to pay off a made straight or a slowplayed set.

aseem
Old 03-30-2005, 11:52 AM

Default results

Hi aseem,

Thanks for responding. I agree with you in all of these scenarios, although I think the trickiest one is when the opponent pushes. I would definitely consider folding, but seeing as he is an unknown, I'd probably end up calling. In the actual hand, he bet out $25 and I could not figure him for anything but a busted draw or some weird slowplay, so I called and he flipped over JJ and my hand is good. I guess this is one of those situations for him where he doesn't want to face a big bet, but definitely wants to get to showdown.

Bob
Old 03-30-2005, 11:57 AM

Default Re: QQ overpair against river bet

push = AA/KK/TT; autodrop
block = autocall
chk = find out what he had (this case) else vb if very confident else chk