Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Limit Texas Hold'em > Small Stakes Hold'em
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 12-21-2005, 08:22 AM

Default Re: 2/4: AK, A Free Showdown for QTip...

I agree with Silky that this is an excellent free showdown raise.

An alternative line which I probably would have taken (possibly incorrectly) is to raise the flop, bet the turn and check the river.

I would be interested to hear what the advantages are of waiting until the turn to make the raise, instead of raising on the flop.
Old 12-21-2005, 05:03 PM

Fold better hands more frequently.
Old 12-21-2005, 06:08 PM

[ QUOTE ]
NH. i dont get this misconception that a free showdown play is only good if you can fold to a 3 bet.

[/ QUOTE ]
Old 12-26-2005, 10:22 PM

Default A 2nd LC addition

For those that are going to ask, no I don't normal open K9o this early I just lost track of how close I was to the button. FWIW I think this turn raise is a lot closer than the QJ high one.

Party Poker 15.00/30.00 Hold'em <font color="#0000FF">(10 handed)</font> link

Preflop: Hero is MP1 with K[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img], 9[img]/images/graemlins/spade.gif[/img].
<font color="#666666">3 folds</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, <font color="#666666">5 folds</font>, BB calls.

Flop: (4.67 SB) 8[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img], 4[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img], 6[img]/images/graemlins/heart.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, Hero calls.

Turn: (3.33 BB) 4[img]/images/graemlins/club.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
<font color="#CC3333">BB bets</font>, <font color="#CC3333">Hero raises</font>, BB calls.

River: (7.33 BB) A[img]/images/graemlins/diamond.gif[/img] <font color="#0000FF">(2 players)</font>
BB checks, Hero checks.

Final Pot: 7.33 BB.
Results in white below:<font color="#FFFFFF">
BB has Th Qh (a pair of fours.)
Hero has Kc 9s (a pair of fours.)
Hero wins 7.23 BB.
</font>
Old 12-26-2005, 10:38 PM

Default Re: A 2nd LC addition

[ QUOTE ]
FWIW I think this turn raise is a lot closer than the QJ high one.

[/ QUOTE ]

Could you explain why you think this Hobbs?

Edit: Nevermind, I agree with you now. I'd still like to hear what you think are the most important things to think about when applying the FSD in situations like this though if you could.
Old 12-27-2005, 08:34 AM

Default Re: A 2nd LC addition

[ QUOTE ]
I'd still like to hear what you think are the most important things to think about when applying the FSD in situations like this though if you could.

[/ QUOTE ]

Preface: I'm drunk.

The simple thinking on this hand is that is HU situations reasonable players will check/raise top pair + monsters and donk bet draws and shity pairs. Thus (in this hand I was up against a semi-TAG) when decent players gaybet on drawy boards high card hands are so often going to be to good and thus I look to get quickly to showdown.
Old 12-27-2005, 02:49 PM

[ QUOTE ]
a free showdown raise is good when:
1) there is a chance you have the best hand
2)you have some outs to improve to the best hand (therefore if they call you can fire on the river and win 3 bets instead of 2, but if you miss you still only pay 2 bets for the showdown: same as calling down)
3)FOLD EQUITY, villass might fold a lowpair or a hand that has 6 outs against you.

[/ QUOTE ]

You forgot the part about either being able to fold to a three-bet or being three-bet so rarely that it doesn't matter much (this means &lt; 3% of the time, not 10% of the time)

Will