Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > Tournament Poker > One-table Tournaments
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 07-25-2005, 12:32 PM

Default Re: did i make a stupid call here? huge odds..

[ QUOTE ]
I would check this flop to be honest or bet 2/3rd of it, 400 seems a bit too much.

[/ QUOTE ]

400 is 2/3rds...

I think OP played the hand well. And his analysis is pretty right on.

Calling in the SB is fine with KJ...you'd be crazy not to.

Betting out is fine too...I might check here as well.

Once you've bet out and have such good odds to call, even if you are behind, you most likely still have outs...not sure if they cover the odds the pot is laying you, but, I would regrettably call here as well knowing im a loser at this point. But hey, 1 in 4 times Ive seen the two allins with crap. say AK and 77 or something....so its not SO unlikely that you even have the worst hand...and if you do, you most certainly have outs.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:33 PM

Pre-flop - I think your call is in order - you're getting great odds with a decent hand and no one has shown any strength.

Flop- I like your flop bet here. Obviously two of the hands are in trouble and might be getting desperate. So, you do need to be prepared to call the all-in. But I think that's reasonable.

I'd like to hear what hands do you think the first person will go all-in with at this point. AJ is possible, but he probably would've raised pre-flop. Pocket JJ? Again, not likely. Pocket 55s or 33s? Maybe, but all-in preflop would be better plan. It depends on your read of that player. I suspect a flush draw too, perhaps a QJ. Or a slowplayed AA,KK,QQ.

The second caller is interesting. I'd say you probably are trailing at this point. But let's assume that you need another Jack to hit to win. That's a 7:1 and you're getting those odds. I think this is a definitely call. Because you still have a chance of being the best hand.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:36 PM

Folding here would make you the worst player ever after betting the flop.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:36 PM

I dont know why some suggest not leading out on the flop with a bet like you did, there is a flushdraw and a possible straight draw out there, you HAVE to bet at this flop especially when you will take this down most of the time, many people can't play short stacks and play poorly take advantage of it.
Old 07-25-2005, 12:37 PM

I think you played that fine, You almost have to call the all in at the end. Top pair with a K kicker is strong enough IMO to make this call, especially at the 10's.
Old 07-25-2005, 01:22 PM

Default Results

Thanks guys for all the responses.
the first guy who pushed had J5o for 2 pair, UTG had KK which i certainly did not expect. unfortunately i had no outs at all here when i called but i still think it was the right play, just making sure my thinking was right..
even though i was short stacked after this, i went on to win the sng.
thanks again for the responses
Old 07-25-2005, 01:24 PM

If you have a reason to think that the UTG limp is suspicious, I would fold preflop (though I would call if suited). If you think he's a donk who likes to limp, push preflop! The pot is huge already, and you have a good hand.
Old 07-25-2005, 02:25 PM

pot odds don't mean anything if you are out of the tournament. The actions suggests that you are not only behind but way behind. So I say fold preflop but after you put 400 in and 2 guys go all in after that you fold this and survive.

SAM
Old 07-25-2005, 02:37 PM

[ QUOTE ]
pot odds don't mean anything if you are out of the tournament. The actions suggests that you are not only behind but way behind. So I say fold preflop but after you put 400 in and 2 guys go all in after that you fold this and survive.

There is no way to fold preflop getting 7:1 and no way to fold this hand because if you loose you still have chips, quite a few because only one guy at the table really has a lot of chips

SAM

[/ QUOTE ]

people like this are what is turning me away from the forum, so much bad advice on this forum its crazy
Old 07-25-2005, 02:44 PM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

There is no way to fold preflop getting 7:1 and no way to fold this hand because if you loose you still have chips, quite a few because only one guy at the table really has a lot of chips

SAM

[/ QUOTE ]

people like this are what is turning me away from the forum, so much bad advice on this forum its crazy

[/ QUOTE ]

I agree. It's an $11 buyin PP SNG. I've seen A LOT worse turned over in this spot. Without having actually seen the villains' hands in a post on an internet forum you played it fine IMO.