Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > 2+2 Communities > Other Other Topics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 05-12-2005, 12:48 AM

Default Re: Dave Chappelle\'s in a mental institution

[ QUOTE ]

i didnt think he was doing drugs, and the end of the article verifies this according to his friends. his sudden mental instability is very surprising.

[/ QUOTE ]

Listening to the commentary track from Season One, it doesn't surprise me all that much. He makes putting the show together sound like an incredible slog, and I'm sure it is, particularly given the standards that he's set for himself. I also think he's been touring. Burnout seems like a pretty common thing to happen in these situations.
Old 05-12-2005, 01:17 AM

</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
</font><blockquote><font class="small">In risposta di:</font><hr />
50 million dollar contract??? at least when he comes out hell have a new brain implant made predominantly of platinum bling bling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fifty mil was for 2 full seasons, so far it sounds like he's barely done five new episodes.

-Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

but if he is willing to make them he will still get paid.. if comedy central cancels it's not like he doesn't get paid, right?
Old 05-12-2005, 01:30 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
50 million dollar contract??? at least when he comes out hell have a new brain implant made predominantly of platinum bling bling.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think the fifty mil was for 2 full seasons, so far it sounds like he's barely done five new episodes.

-Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

but if he is willing to make them he will still get paid.. if comedy central cancels it's not like he doesn't get paid, right?

[/ QUOTE ]

"Chappelle's new contract reportedly includes a movie deal, a TV production gig and a big slice of DVD sales."---it sounds like the contract has many large words that I woundn't know how to began to pronounce. But if he stops showing up to the set I doubt he'll get all the cash.

-Pete
Old 05-12-2005, 01:31 AM

[ QUOTE ]
They just said that he checked himself in and that it's in Africa or south Africa...not sure. This isn't April 1 right?

[/ QUOTE ]

A black guy getting psychiatric treatment in South Africa? Isn't that what they call siccing a dog on your groin?
Old 05-12-2005, 02:01 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

-Pete

[/ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

I am sure that there are dates/deadlines in the contract that Chappelle has missed and he is probably technically in breach of contract. I am pretty sure that they will not cancel the show (which will generate well more than 50m in revenue) if they don't have to and thus it is in everybody's best interest that he gets healthy and goes back to work.

Unfortunately even if his drug use was not the primary cause of the breakdown it was at least an influence (science today says mental health is caused by chemical imbalances in the body, drugs change your chemical makeup) and I am sure that if he is getting good therapy he is being told to get on the wagon (or is it off the wagon?)

It is my contention that a sober Chapelle will not be nearly as funny as a drunk/stoned/yipped up Chapelle so even if he gets better this might be the end...
Old 05-12-2005, 02:19 AM

[ QUOTE ]
It is my contention that a sober Chapelle will not be nearly as funny as a drunk/stoned/yipped up Chapelle so even if he gets better this might be the end...

[/ QUOTE ]

this could be true, sadly it might have been the case for Chris Farley also
Old 05-12-2005, 03:10 AM

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

this could be true, sadly it might have been the case for Chris Farley also

[/ QUOTE ]

I don't know if we can make that inference about Farley because, unless I am mistaken, he was never sober...

(correct me if im wrong... did he ever try rehab?)
Old 05-12-2005, 03:11 AM

[ QUOTE ]
(correct me if im wrong... did he ever try rehab?)

[/ QUOTE ]

As far as I know, he never did. I think he was just a hilarious man with a lot of problems.
Old 05-12-2005, 03:14 AM

he has also become a little bitter about the show too. He makes it becasue its a creative output for him, but at the sma etime, many new "fans" are taking things the wrong way. He now also gets no privacy and really just wants to raise his kids and do comedy. To me it sounds like a nervous breakdown, or a publicity stunt
Old 05-12-2005, 03:18 AM

[ QUOTE ]
he has also become a little bitter about the show too. He makes it becasue its a creative output for him, but at the sma etime, many new "fans" are taking things the wrong way. He now also gets no privacy and really just wants to raise his kids and do comedy. To me it sounds like a nervous breakdown, or a publicity stunt

[/ QUOTE ]

I didn't realize he has kids, thats sad. (not that DC is their dad - thats awesome, but that their dad went nuts and the whole world heard about it - that sucks)

I have a feeling that this is not a publicity stunt (why would he need it, what sense would that make?) and is a drug induced breakdown.

I also thing (and this might be a big logical jump) that the reason he went to South Africa for help is because he wanted to try to keep things private... That too is sad.