Two Plus Two Older Archives  

Go Back   Two Plus Two Older Archives > General Poker Discussion > Books and Publications
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Old 08-06-2004, 11:35 AM

Default Pre flop hands and SSH

In SSH on page 77, Miller writes, "In general, do not spend too much time contemplating specific preflop plays. If you have to think about it too long, the options probably run close in value. Instead use that time, to improve your postflop play. After you have learned to play decently preflop, most of your additional winnings will come from exploiting your opponents postflop mistakes." I agree 100% I wish I had read these words 2 years ago when I took this game up. I sure wasted a lot of time at rec. gambling. poker talking about stuff that does not really matter! Texas hold em preflop strategy seems to be pretty simple. However, that is what most of the threads on the internet talk about.
Old 08-06-2004, 01:07 PM

Default Re: Pre flop hands and SSH

[ QUOTE ]
However, that is what most of the threads on the internet talk about.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is the same way in chess. Opening books abound--everybody wants someone to give them a path to a sure edge (and hopefully therefore a won game)...only once out of the opening, you have to apply your actual chess knowledge...and that takes time to learn. Still, lets face it, it's important to know WHAT to play. In chess you don't want to follow a line that gets you a bad game and in poker you do need to know what hands are likely money makes and which ones are poison.